Leadership and Change (MSLC)
The Master of Science in Leadership and Change at St. Edward’s prepares you to confidently and skillfully lead positive change within an organization — a crucial competency in today’s fast-moving, often turbulent business world. You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of leadership from the individual, group, organizational and global perspectives, allowing you to facilitate change across diverse teams in the workplace.
Watch the video to see Program Director Tom Sechrest talk about the skills MSLC graduates bring to an organization that enable them to effectively lead change efforts.
Master of Science in Leadership and Change
Convenient Class Schedules:
The MS in Leadership and Change is offered in an accelerated, low-residency format designed to accommodate the busy schedule of working professionals. Students will …
• Attend three semesters per year. Each semester includes two 7-week terms.
• Take two 7-week courses per semester, focusing on one course at a time.
• Meet for class once a week on campus for 3.5 hours.
• Complete the MSLC in five semesters (less than two years).
In the MS in Leadership and Change program, you’ll focus on evaluating, developing and implementing strategies that help an organization change and grow its culture and performance. You’ll explore the multifaceted nature of organizational systems, ethics, conflict resolution and decision-making. And you’ll identify your own leadership strengths and ways to use them to initiate lasting change.
Throughout the program, you’ll learn to:
• Implement a systematic organizational assessment and develop action plans for change
• Examine quantitative and qualitative data from cross-functional areas of an organization in order to logically and creatively support decisions that mobilize change
• Communicate strategic direction, intent and processes related to change in ways that turn conflict into collaboration and lead people from resistance to acceptance
• Establish ethical frameworks to help organizations guide their business behaviors and practices
You’ll study in small classes with professors who are practitioners in their field and network with peers who bring their own professional experiences to the classroom.
The MS in Leadership and Change prepares you for leadership roles that are both personally and professionally rewarding. For example, you could work as a program officer for a charitable foundation, a human resources director for a university, a director of strategic planning for a financial institution, a chief of staff for a legislator, a change management consultant for a global enterprise, or a business manager for a tech startup. Whether you have years of experience in business or are transitioning directly from your undergraduate education, the MSLC builds upon your existing knowledge with skills that serve you well in an entrepreneurial, nonprofit or corporate setting — or pave the way to earning your PhD.
I. CORE COURSES (24 CREDIT HOURS):
• Leadership Theory and Practice
• Critical Inquiry and Decision-Making
• Organizational Systems, Culture and Complexity
• Corporate Social Responsibility
• Principles and Practices of Organizational Change
• Assessing Organizational Data
• Strategic Leadership
• Conflict Analysis and Resolution
II. ELECTIVE COURSES (6 CREDIT HOURS):
• Leading High Performance Teams
• Creativity and Innovation
• Contemporary Issues in Leadership and Change
• Executing Strategic Change
• Special Topics
• Special Topics in Global Business