School of Humanities
Associate Professor of Art History
- PhD in Art History at New York University, New York City, New York, 1998
- MA in Art History at University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, 1991
- BA in Studio Art at Towson State University, Towson, Maryland, 1988
- MA in History of Religion at Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1980
- BA in Religion at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts, 1977
Why I Teach
I teach my students by providing context to the world of art — from the availability of materials to market strategies, from the voice of the individual to the goals of society. I encourage young people to study with these much larger issues in mind. However, I also believe that the study of art must come back to the object itself.
Teaching is about sharing. It’s about being a part of the process of understanding. It’s teaching, and, always, it’s learning.