Hispanic Heritage Month at St. Edward's University
On Friday, Sept. 16, St. Edward's University will kick off its annual Hispanic Heritage Month observation with its Diez Y Sies de Septiembre celebration. The festivities, beginning at 11:45 a.m. at Ragsdale Plaza, will include remarks from Vicente Sanchez, deputy consul general of Mexico, and a performance by the St. Edward's University Ballet Folklórico troupe. The university will host a variety of related events through mid October, and all events are free and open to the public.
• Dolores Huerta. Hear the co-founder and vice president of the United Farm Workers Union.
Tuesday, Sept. 20, 7:30 p.m.; Mabee Ballroom, Robert & Pearle Ragsdale Center
• La Feria. Attend a fair to learn about other countries that celebrate independence.
Thursday, Sept. 22, 6–8:30 p.m.; Ragsdale Lawn
• Who's the Sauce Boss? Observe a hot sauce competition among three rival chefs.
Tuesday, Sept. 27, noon; South Congress Market, Ragsdale Center
• Cerronato. Listen to two popular Colombian musical styles with long traditions.
Wednesday, Sept. 28, 6–8 p.m.; South Congress Market, Ragsdale Center
• Tianguis Market. Taste traditional Tianguis while you sample the wares of local Austin vendors.
Thursday, Sept. 29, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.; Ragsdale Lobby
• Spanish Mass.
Sunday, Oct. 2, 9 p.m.; Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel
• Matachines. Experience a traditional Mexican religious dance.
Tuesday, Oct. 4, noon–1 p.m.; Ragsdale Plaza
• Conjunto by Los Padrinos. Hear conjunto music from South Texas and northern Mexico.
Thursday, Oct. 6, 11 a.m.–1 p.m.; Fondren Lawn