St. Edward's University Community Service Project: It's The BIG Event
Specific photo opportunities include:
Ventana del Soul, 1834 East Oltorf
- Painting walls, power washing the curbs, and planting oleanders.
Zilker Botanical Gardens, 2220 Barton Springs Road
- Helping to complete a nature trail and butterfly garden that will become a public path for the traveling dinosaur sculpture exhibit.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church, 120 W. Oltorf
- Cleaning out and organizing storage closets.
Sherwood Oaks Neighborhood, (North side of the St. Edward’s University campus)
- Beautification of Neighborhood. Clean windows, trim hedges, rake leaves, clean gutters, pull weeds, and plant flowers.
Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum, 605 Robert E. Lee Road
- Garden clean-up, picking up trash, raking leaves, and tending to the gardens.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, 409 W. Ben White
- Various tasks within the church.
Other service projects will take place at various sites. Contact Mischelle Diaz at 512-468-2310 for more service location details the day of the event. More than 250 volunteers are expected to attend this year. Volunteers will have use of gardening tools and other equipment thanks to Keep Austin Beautiful foundation.
The BIG Event Schedule:
9 a.m. - Volunteers meet in the St. Edward’s Alumni Gym
Breakfast tacos provided by Taco Deli, registration, job assignments, d.j. and musical entertainment.
9:40 a.m. – Volunteer groups dispatched to job sites
1:00 p.m. – Lunch provided by Chipotle. Drinks and snacks provided by HEB. Live musical performance by the band The Banner Year.
The BIG Event is sponsored by the St. Edward’s University Student Government Association with support from Student Life and the Marketing Office.