Class of 2010 to Create the First-Ever Live, Interactive and Socially Connected Graduation
To celebrate the university’s 125th anniversary, St. Edward’s is ready to make history. And we’d like to invite you – the graduates of May 2010 – to participate in a historic event – the first-ever, socially connected graduation. All you need is a cell phone!
We’re partnering with the makers of Whrrl, a cutting-edge, location-based mobile platform, to allow you, your family and friends to participate in a one of a kind, collaborative, interactive, and real-time visual experience.
The action starts after the last graduate has left the stage. That’s when Dr. Martin will invite you to upload your photos and notes to begin creating the St. Edward’s 2010 commencement story. Your posts from the graduation floor will appear in real-time to the large screen on stage, creating a real-time online story of the event that everyone will see.
It’s easy to be a part of this historic event! Here’s how to get started:
1) Sign up for a Whrrl account prior to graduation day.
- If you have an iPhone, download Whrrl from the Apple App Store on your phone or via your computer.
- If you have a smart phone of any kind, you can sign up at http://m.whrrl.com
- If you don’t have a smart phone, go to www.whrrl.com and create an account.
2) Get to know Whrrl before graduation day. We’ll have Whrrl specialists at the following pre-graduation events:
- April 30: Come to the High Five Social Hour at Opal Divine’s at 5:30 p.m. to sign up and see a live demonstration.
- May 6: After commencement practice, attend the reception on Ragsdale Plaza to learn more or get help signing up.
- Anytime: Visit http://faq.whrrl.com/tutorials/ for tutorials on how t use Whrrl.
3) On Graduation Day, May 8, just login to Whrrl when you arrive.
- “Check In” to the Frank Erwin Center when you arrive.
- Join the group “St. Edward’s Graduation.” You’ll immediately be accepted into the “St. Edward’s Society” and see everyone else who has checked in to the graduation.
- Begin taking photos of your friends, or yourself in the gowning room, but don’t upload them until the end of the commencement ceremony.
- Have a great graduation! Then, when all graduates have received their diplomas, Dr. Martin will invite you to upload your photos and messages.
- Now the fun begins! While you soak in the fact that you’ve finally graduated, celebrate and share: “Add a Photo,” “Add a Note,” comment on someone else’s post.
Sit back and enjoy watching the memories unfold as they are happening. All of the notes and pictures will be pooled into one event on whrrl.com/frankerwincenter
Remember: Only the Notes and Photos you post at the end of graduation will be part of the live slide show. This is your graduation — but the world will be watching!
Tell a friend! Don’t forget to pass this along to your fellow graduates! The more people who participate, the more fun it will be.