We are here to guide you through your first year.
College can be both exciting and scary, but we are here to help! Your dedicated success coach helps you choose your major, select your classes and navigate your first year of college.
How To Select Classes
During your first year, your success coach will help you select the classes that match your academic goals and degree requirements. Together you will discuss:
- Your degree plan
- Course sequencing
- Class selection
- Course registration
For more information on the advising and registration process please see our FAQ's on Advising and Registration. You can also see a registration and Degree Work tutorials to assist you with the process.
How Your Success Coach Can Help You
You have a dedicated success coach to guide you through your first year.
Your success coach begins work with you before you arrive on campus and you can expect them to:
- Call you during the summer to get to know you better
- Ask about your particular interests and goals
- Meet with you during your orientation session to help you register for classes
- Meet regularly during your first year to help you navigate your degree and college life
- Create a personalized academic success plan to help you reach your goals
At the end of your first year, you will begin work with a dedicated faculty advisor in your major. Your success coach and faculty advisor will guide you the rest of the way to graduation.
How to Navigate Your First Year
Here are just a few things you can expect from your first year:
- Most students take 4 or 5 classes.
- A typical schedule consists of writing, math, freshman studies, a course in the major and other general requirements like art, speech, and science.
- You may change your major, and that is okay. Your success coach can help you with this.
- Good time management is important. Professors expect you to work 2 hours for every 1 hour in class.
- It is okay to ask for help. Every first year student can consult their success coach at any time with questions, concerns, challenges or triumphs.