How I spent my summer vacation ... We’ve all written this essay once upon a time, haven’t we? But let’s forget about the hohum car trips or hours spent by the pool. How about helping refugees in Greece? Researching Hinduism in the spiritual capital of India?

Those are just some of our students’ summer stories. Their adventures had them crisscrossing the globe as they explored science and ethics, politics and justice, religion and culture.

“Varanasi is one of the most complex and overwhelming places right at the center of religious and spiritual life in India. I observed the beautiful rituals and sensual experiences of Hinduism and got an insider’s experience from an outsider’s perspective.”

BAILEY ALLEGRO ’18
Religious Studies
In Varanasi, India: Independent research

“After working with refugees at Caritas of Austin and considering the current refugee crisis around the world, I knew I wanted to join those who are taking action. I was beyond excited and grateful for the whole experience, to learn and help in every way I could because the world needs more acts of love and compassion.”

TANNYA OLIVA ’18
Global Studies
In Lesvos, Greece: Euro Relief volunteer

“I’m inspired by performers who can effectively incorporate activism into their comedy. By this, I mean those who use their comedy platform to point out the flaws in society and seek change to the problems in our world.”

KATE AXELSSON ’18
Communication
In Chicago, Illinois: online courses in writing satire and writing a themed show via The Second City

University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Illustration

“I want to be a medical laboratory scientist and ensure patients receive the best diagnosis and treatment. This program is the very first step — I’m getting hands-on practice in the lab while gaining knowledge about real-world clinical cases that will help me help others.”

HONG LY ’18
Biology
In Galveston, Texas: First participant in our dual-degree partnership with The University of Texas Medical Branch, in which students earn a bachelor’s in Biology from St. Edward’s and a master’s in Clinical Laboratory Science from The University of Texas Medical Branch

“What excited me most about my internship was the opportunity for new experiences. After studying abroad in Madrid last spring, I developed a love for traveling on my own and making the best of where I go. I had never been to Washington, D.C., and I couldn’t wait to see it for myself.”

KEILA MARTINEZ ’18
Finance
In Washington, D.C.: Federal Reserve internship through the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities

By Stacia Hernstrom MLA ’05
Photograph by Bailey Allegro ’18