12 Things Only Hilltoppers Know
Tips about the Hilltop from Our Campus Tour Guides
Instagram and websites can show you what a college campus looks like. But visiting campus is the only way to understand what it’s really like to be a Hilltopper. Curious? We asked campus tour guides what they’ve learned about the best study spots, traditions and snacks at St. Edward’s. They agreed to let you in on a few secrets ― but if you want to know more, come see for yourself.
1. The best view of the Austin skyline is from the steps of Main Building.
− Manny Servin ’21
International Business major
2. But the best air-conditioned view of downtown is from the third floor of Fleck Hall. The bathrooms there also have the best selfie lighting.
− Jen Dennington ’19
Special Education major
3. I hear at least five different languages every day, sometimes in a single walk across campus.
− Korey Nuchia ’18
4. I love that St. Edward’s is eco-friendly. We have recycling bins and water bottle refill stations all over campus. And Bon Appetit, our food-service provider, sources as much food as possible from within a 150-mile radius of campus, to reduce its carbon footprint.
− Lilia Houser ’20
5. In the Student Life office, you can fill out a piece of paper with your name and birthday, so it can be hung near the office door for everyone to see. I love that we can celebrate with each other, as a campus, even if we don’t know who the person is.
− Kate Dolan ’20
Secondary English Education major
6. At Hillfest, the giant carnival at the start of school, you can meet the goat mascot of St. Edward’s. Not just Topper, the person in a costume, but an actual goat. She lives on a farm nearby, her name is Kelly, and she’s the great-granddaughter of the original goat mascot, Pax.
7. The red doors of Main Building are a great photo op during a campus visit. They’re also part of the Legacy Walk, a university tradition. After the Medallion Ceremony at the start of your freshman year, you’ll walk with your class up the stairs, through the doors and into the heart of campus to mark your entrance into the St. Edward’s community. At the end of your senior year, you and your class will walk out the red doors and onto the front lawn.
8. I love studying in Campus Ministry. There’s a quiet lounge area with couches and tables right off the chapel. During finals they have a Crock-Pot with queso.
9. The wifi near Sorin Oak is pretty good, so people say there’s a wifi router inside the oak tree. This may or may not be true.
10. When you’re at the Student Life office, you can de-stress by sitting in a massage chair.
11. Check out the chalkboard on the second floor of the Munday Library for notices about events, amazing art, motivational messages and tacky puns.
12. If you want to feel like you are floating on a cloud, get a lemonade with a couple of pumps of lavender in it from Jo’s.
Find out more fun and interesting things about St. Edward’s when you visit the hilltop.