St. Edward’s University is dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for all members of the university community who study, research, live and work at any of our campuses. The Office of Campus Safety brings together law enforcement and emergency preparedness to proactively inform and protect our campus community. The University Police and Campus Resilience departments ensure emergency planning programs, crime prevention efforts, parking enforcement and police investigations are working collaboratively to create an environment in which all members of our university community experience a sense of safety and security. Working together yields a more focused and successful crime-fighting team. Reviewing the information outlined on this website will increase your awareness, and awareness is the precursor to action.
Top Three Things to Know About Safety
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
The Hilltop is a safe place to live, learn and work. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is a great resource for our community to learn more about the programs and policies the university has implemented to keep it that way. The Office of Campus Safety prepares this report in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act. Updated versions are published each October 1st and hard copies are also available on request at the University Police Department.
To report a crime or tip:
St. Edward’s University chose to opt-out of Texas Senate Bill 11, commonly referred to as Campus Carry, continuing its long-standing policy of prohibiting weapons on campus in accordance with the Student Handbook (Page 35) and Employee Handbook (Page 33) . University leadership believes concealed handguns on campus present significant concerns and are not conducive to a positive learning environment. Opinions expressed during campus-wide information sessions in December 2015 support the university’s position on this matter. Only active law enforcement personnel are excluded from this policy. If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding weapons on campus, please call the University Police Department at 512-448-8444.
Topper Safe Mobile App
The Topper Safe app is your official mobile safety tool. Regardless if you are student, faculty, staff, alumni, visitor or a friendly neighbor, Topper Safe has something for you!
- Get Help: Whether it's a life-threatening emergency, a non-emergency concern, or a safety tip -- Topper Safe provides users several options to relay those concerns.
- Emergency Guidelines: What do you do when something bad happens? This feature includes industry best practices on what to do during times of crisis.
- Friend Walk: There is now another option to avoid walking or driving alone across campus or town. Use the Friend Walk feature to share your location in real time with family or friends.
- Maps & Directions: Lost? It's OK. It happens. Topper Safe provides you several maps to help find your way and important campus safety resources.
- Emergency Contacts: Don't know who to call? Consider Topper Safe your phone book to all our key local and campus partners who play a part in keeping you safe.
- Toolbox: Need a light? Get some attention? Send someone your current location. This feature includes useful tools to help you out.