There are a variety of career tools available to help you in your professional development.
Career Exploration Tools
Visit our Resource Library in Moody Hall 134 to review and/or check out our library of career development books.
• Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education, training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
• O*NET Online – O*NET Online is a tool for career development and job analysis with detailed descriptions of job function, skills, education, and employment trends.
• What Can I Do with my Major? – This web resource features more than 80 academic majors with a description of typical career paths and employers, strategies to maximize opportunities, professional associations, job postings and links to other related websites
• American Business Journal Book of Lists – Find listings of hundreds of the hottest area companies in an assortment of fields across the United States, by ranking. If you are asked to log in, please use Email: seucareer [at] stedwards.edu and password: welcome.
• Glassdoor - Glassdoor has millions of jobs plus salary information, company reviews, and interview questions from people on the inside making it easy to find a job that’s right for you. If you are interested in learning about international opportunities, check out their global websites too: Austria, Australia, Belgium (French or Dutch language), Canada (English or French language), France, Germany, India, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland (French or German language), and the United Kingdom.
Today’s job market is extremely competitive. To make yourself a top applicant for a position , it helps to be able to include a variety of Certificate of Completion in Training and skills to your resume. LinkedIn Learning comes in as a valuable asset to help you accomplish this task. Free of charge, all St. Edward's students, faculty and staff have access to the thousands of online training resources LinkedIn Learning(formerly Lynda.com) has to offer, including videos on Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, SPSS, NVivo and more.
Log into MyHilltop by visiting http://bit.ly/seulinkedinlearning. When you click on LinkedIn Learning, you will immediately be directed to the site.
Click here to learn more about the training courses awaiting you.
Learn how your personality traits, interests, skills and values relate to majors and careers. Self-assessments can help you choose a major, decide what to do after college, change careers or simply learn more about yourself. Meet with a Career Counselor to determine which assessment is right for you.
- MyPlan.com: MyPlan.com helps students plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers.Whether you’re choosing a major or planning ahead for your first career, MyPlan.com can help you explore options and bring clarity and insight into figuring out what’s right for you. And, with dozens of easy-to-use tools, we’ve made getting to that information convenient, simple and fun. Click here to learn how you can get started with MyPlan.com.
Assessments to Discuss with a Career Counselor
- Strong Interest Inventory - This is a career assessment utilized to help students measure their interests and choose a career or college major.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) - The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator is an introspective self-report questionnaire with the purpose of indicating differing psychological preferences in how people perceive the world around them and make decisions.
- Holland Self-Directed Search (SDS) - The assessment asks questions about an individual’s aspirations, activities, competencies, interests, and other self-estimates.
• Jobscan.co - Ninety percent of large companies use Applicant Tracking Systems to search for qualified candidates from large applicant pools. These systems help employers by analyzing resumes and CVs, surfacing candidates that best match the position and filtering out those who don't. Jobscan.co has researched the top systems used by thousands of companies, and built their algorithm based on the common patterns among them. You can use this free software 5x per month. We also encourage you to make an appointment with a career counselor to utilize this tool even more and discuss tricks and tools you can use to customize the perfect resume.
• Big Interview - What is a Big Interview? Big Interview is an interviewing software that allows you to practice various types of questions, including general, behavioral and technical ones while recording yourself with a webcam. The “Answer Builder” tool inside Big Interview will help you mine the depths of your memory to find the right stories to tell. Finally, you can record your answers and ask a career counselor to provide you with a feedback. Learn more about how to use Big Interview here.
• Skype Room - Have an interview scheduled with an employer via Skype or Google Hangouts? Our Skype Room has professional lighting, screens, and a microphone to ensure you have the most professional setting for your interview.
• St. Edward’s University LinkedIn Career Network Program – A networking tool to find connections to recommended job candidates, industry experts, business partners and search for jobs. Click here to learn more how to utilize LinkedIn to access this network.
• LinkedIn Photo Booth - A professional photo on your LinkedIn profile helps you gain more visibility from potential employers. Stop by anytime during office hours to have your photo taken.