Teaching Awakens Curiosity
Dr. Hollier is a life long learner and teacher of religious education, theology, music, research methods, and curriculum/instruction. He has served in ministry in the Diocese of Lafayette, La, and taught in several k-12 schools including the Episcopal School of Acadiana, Strake Jesuit of Houston, St. Agnes Academy of Houston, and St. Antoine Elementary School (Lafayette, La). After completing four years of research and assessment work for Houston ISD, as a research specialist, Dr. Hollier accepted a teaching position at Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX. St. Edward's University has been Dr. Hollier's academic home since June of 2006.
I see myself as a guide, a mentor and a facilitator of learning. Teaching is exciting and important work. More than ever, today’s schools need skilled teachers and leaders. I am excited to help my students grow into extraordinary educators of tomorrow.
- Associate Professor of Education, 2013- present (St. Edward's University)
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Director, 2006-present (St. Edward's University)
- Assistant Professor of Education, 2006- 2012 (St. Edward's University)
- Assistant Professor of Education, 2003-2006 (Stephen F. Austin State University)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON, Doctor of Education – Curriculum and Instruction (Ed.D.) 1997
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE, Master of Education (M.Ed.) 1992
- St. Meinrad School of Theology, Master of Divinity (M. Div.) 1983
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY, Bachelor of Music Education – (B. Music. Ed.) 1978
Achievement & Involvement
Honors and Awards
- 2011-2012 Distinguished Teaching Award, Nomination and Candidate, nomination from School of Education and Dean of Education, St. Edward’s University
- 2009 Hudspeth Award for Innovative Instruction, St. Edward’s University, Austin, Texas
- Pilgrim, J., Vasinda, S., Leavell, J., & Hollier, D. (October, 2014). Case studies of one-to-one iPad initiatives in teacher preparation programs. Texas Forum of Teacher Education (online).
- Hollier, D. (2011). Web-based instruction: What would John Dewey think? National FORUM of Teacher Education Journal, 21 (3), online.
- De la Colina, M.G., Leavell, J. A., Cuellar, R., Hollier, D. R., & Episcopo, V. (2009). A study of an online reading intervention for secondary english language learners. National FORUM of Teacher Education Journal, 19 (3), online.
- Malaty, H.M., Abudayyeh, S., Fraley, K., Graham, D.Y., Gilger, M.A., & Hollier, D.R. (2007, April). Recurrent abdominal pain in school children: Effect of obesity and diet. Acta Paediatrica 96 (4): 572-6.
- Hollier, D. (2005, Fall). [Review of the book Bridging the learning/assessment gap, by W. Jennings & J. Caulfield]. Teacher Education and Practice, 18 (3).
- Malaty, H.M., Abudayyeh, S., O'Malley, K.J., Wilsey, M.J.,
- Fraley, K., Gilger, M.A., Hollier, D., Graham, D. Y., & Rabeneck, L. (2005, Feb). Development of a multidimensional measure for recurrent abdominal pain in children: Population-based studies in three settings. Pediatrics 115 (2): e210-215 DOI: 10.1542/peds.2004-1412
- Fraley, K., Klish, W., Myres, D., Smith, E. O., Hollier, D., & Wong, W., (2004). Risk factors for childhood obesity in an urban public school population. Journal of Children’s Health 2: 1-11.
"Teaching strategies for the adult learner.” Presentation to Goodwill Industries, Excel School, July 31, 2014. Presenter: Dr. David Hollier, St. Edward’s University Faculty.
- "Teaching and learning strategies: The adult learner.” Presentation to the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Conference, South Padre Island, Texas, July 17, 2014. Presenter: Dr. David Hollier, St. Edward’s University Faculty.
- "Implementing iPads and e-text Use in Preservice Teacher Education and Pedagogical Discussion" Presented at the Annual International Reading Association Conference New Orleans, Louisiana, May 11, 2014. Presenters: Dr. Judy Leavell and Dr. David Hollier, St. Edward’s University Faculty.
- “Graduate student and action research collaborative designs: Finding the best opportunities in community service partnerships”. Paper and Roundtable presentation to be presented at the CSOTTE 2011 Fall Teacher Education Conference, October 23-25, 2011, Corpus Christi, TX. Invited presenters: Faculty: David Hollier, Judy Leavell; MAT students: Jerel Perez, Bob Davidson, McKenna Melich, Liz Winner, Stephanie Upshaw, and Rebecca Wallace.
- “Writing from within: Goodwill Industries LLP Training”. Presentation to Goodwill employees on May 27, 2011. Presentation created and presented by David Hollier, Judy Leavell, and Ryan Hoover, St. Edward’s University Faculty.
- "Qualitative research studies: Instruction from a Distance”. David Hollier, Presented at Poster Session at “The Teaching Professor’s Conference”, Cambridge, MA. May 21-23, 2010.
- "Learning classroom technology from the inside: Future teachers design software with programmers". Co-Authors: David Hollier and Mike Otten, St. Edward’s University, Austin, Texas. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southwest Education Research Association, February, 2009, San Antonio, TX.