Distinguished Professor and Director, Kozmetzky Center of Excellence
Expertise: Cross’ interests and expertise are in global security studies, international relations and comparative politics. Previously, Cross was Professor in the College of International & Security Studies at the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. She was director of academics for both the Program in Advanced Security Studies and Senior Executive Seminar, and served in key leadership capacities for the Marshall Center’s strategic outreach engagement initiatives in Russia/Eurasia and South East Europe. Prior to the Marshall Center, Cross was at the United States Air Force Academy where she had been appointed distinguished professor of political science.
View recent media appearance here:
- PhD in Political Science: International Relations, Comparative Politics (Russia), American Foreign Policy, 1990
- MA in Political Science: International Relations, Comparative Politics (Russia), American Foreign Policy, University of California, Los Angeles, 1990
- BA in Political Science, University of Arizona, 1983
Honors and Awards:
- Named a Global Policy Fellow by the Woodrow Wilson Center, 2013
- Commander’s Award and Defense Security Cooperation Meritorious Service Awards from the U.S. Army and Department of Defense, 2013
- Recipient of three post-doctoral research grants at the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
In progress: China, Russia, and Twenty First Century Global Geopolitics with Paul J. Bolt, under contract with Oxford University Press
Published: Shaping South East Europe’s Security Community: Trust, Partnership Integration, Sharyl Cross, Savo Kentera, R. Craig Nation, and Radovan Vukadinovic eds., Palgrave-Macmillan, New Security Challenges Series, 2013 [reviewer endorsements by Dr. Julian Lindley-French, Eisenhower Professor Norwegian Defense Academy; Dr. Mustafa Aydin Professor of International Relations and Rector Kadir Has University/Istanbul, Dr. Dragan Simic, Professor of Political Science, University of Belgrade, Karl A. Lamers, President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Fabio Mini (Italy/KFOR Commander]
The United States, Russia, and China: Confronting Global Terrorism and Security Challenges in the Twenty First Century, Paul J. Bolt, Sharyl Cross and Su Changhe eds., Praeger Security International (PSI)/Greenwood, 2008 [Reviewer endorsement by George T. Yu, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, University of Illinois]
Email: sharylc [at] stedwards.edu
Phone: (512) 637-1928