Applying to Study Abroad Programs

Can I apply to more than one study abroad program at a time?

Yes, but notify your study abroad advisor if you plan to do this. There may be certain restrictions and limitations.

How will I know whether or not I was accepted to a study abroad program?

You will receive your application decision via email after the study abroad deadline for your program has passed.

What does it mean if I was “waitlisted” for a study abroad program and what should I do in the meantime?

If you are waitlisted, it means the program you are applying to has reached full capacity. It is possible that someone will withdraw from the program after the deadline, in which case you may be eligible to take a vacated spot for that program.

NOTE: In order to be included on the waitlist, you must complete all application requirements before the deadline. This is not a guarantee that you will be able to participate in a study abroad program.

What happens after I am accepted?

Once you have been accepted to a program, you will receive an e-mail from the GEO regarding your acceptance. This email will have instructions on how to complete the remaining parts of your application.

NOTE: Once you have been accepted to a program, there are still application requirements you must complete. Failure to complete these requirements will mean that your application is incomplete and you will not be able to participate in the study abroad program.

Academics of Study Abroad Programs

Are there any language requirements for studying abroad?

Language requirements differ from program to program. If developing language skills is a priority to you or, conversely, if you prefer to participate in a study abroad program that is taught in English, be sure to let your study abroad advisor know this preference when you meet.

Is there a GPA requirement to study abroad?

Yes, there is. Any SEU student who wishes to study abroad must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher.

Students with a GPA lower than a 2.75 must talk to their study abroad advisor to request to submit a GPA Petition which would allow them to study abroad.

What is the GPA Petition process?

You must make an appointment to meet with your study abroad advisor to get the GPA Petition Form. You will need to complete the form, write a short essay (~500 words) detailing how you will manage your studies while abroad, and get a Letter of Recommendation from your academic advisor. The GPA Petition form must be approved by the Director of GEO.

If I am a transfer student, can I study abroad?

Yes you can, but you cannot study abroad your first semester at St. Edward’s University. You must also have established a GPA of 2.75 or higher at St. Edward’s University to be eligible to participate in study abroad programs.

If I am an international student, can I study abroad?

Yes, you can study abroad as an international student. You will need to make sure to inform your immigration advisor of your plans. In addition, you are responsible for acquiring any visas or travel documentation that you may need in order to participate in a study abroad program. Contact iss [at] if you have any questions or concerns.

Costs of Study Abroad Programs

Does financial aid apply to the cost of study abroad programs?

Yes, but there are stipulations. Federal financial aid (any funds from your FAFSA) can be applied towards any of the three types of study abroad programs (Faculty-Led, Provider, or Exchange).

St. Edward’s financial aid (scholarships) can ONLY be applied to Faculty-Led and Exchange programs. Contact your financial aid advisor if you have any questions.

How much spending money should I take?

We highly recommend creating a budget based on your personal spending habits and the cost of living where you plan to study abroad. Your study abroad advisor can help you find resources that will allow you to create a realistic budget for while you are abroad.

Traveling during Study Abroad Programs

Can I arrive early to my program or stay after it has ended?

The answer to this is almost always yes, with the exception of programs that include group airfare. If group airfare is included in your program, deviations ARE NOT allowed. You must travel into and out of the country with the group.

Am I allowed to travel elsewhere during free weekends or campus holidays?

If you are on an Exchange program, you are free to travel on your weekends and campus holidays.  If you are on Provider programs and Faculty-Led programs, you are generally allowed to travel when other weekend activities/excursions are not scheduled. 

Withdrawing from Study Abroad Programs

What should I do if I want to withdraw from a study abroad program?

The first thing you should do is review the cancellation policy that is part of your study abroad application and understand that there are financial penalties for withdrawing from a program.

The next thing you should do is let your study abroad advisor know.  When looking at the policy of cancelations and refunds, we use the first recorded communication about your intent to withdraw as the date from which penalties are assessed.  That means when you are certain you no longer want to participate in a program, the sooner you email your advisor clearly stating that you will no longer be participating in the program, the better.

What are the withdrawal fees if I withdraw from a study abroad program after the deadline?

The withdrawal fees are generally a percentage of the total cost of the program. The percentage is dependent on how close your withdrawal is to the start of the study abroad program.