Study Abroad Mission
The mission of Study Abroad is to actively promote international and intercultural understanding and to enrich the academic and cultural environment of St. Edward’s. We support the St. Edward’s University mission by preparing global graduates who recognize their responsibility to the world community with thoughtful minds, caring hearts, and clarity of leadership.
Study Abroad is committed to:
- Offering programs that increase access for students and ensure diversity of participants and locations
- Advancing education abroad opportunities that encompass experiential, innovative, and career-focused learning
- Developing and integrating education abroad programs into St. Edward’s curricular learning goals
- Cultivating institutional partnerships to foster global experiences for the entire St. Edward’s community
- Enhancing initiatives that foster intercultural and global competencies for students, faculty, staff, and the local community
Emily Spandikow Wescott
Emily is the Director of Study Abroad and collaborates with students, faculty, staff, and our global partners to develop and implement our mission and goals for the study abroad program. Prior to St. Edward’s, Emily served as the Assistant Director of Study Abroad at University of Texas at Austin, and Associate Director of Academic Affairs at Arcadia University, London Center. Emily has earned her Masters of Science in Cross-Cultural Psychology. Her research interests are on value shifts within cultures, and she has taught courses on diversity in multicultural workplaces, as well as cross-cultural learning. Recently, Emily presented at the Standards of Good Practice Institute, Beyond the Basics of Health, Safety, Security and Risk Management on study abroad best practices for emergencies abroad. Emily has lived, worked, and studied abroad in the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom.