Feb. 22, 2021
AUSTIN, Texas - Updated at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, February 22
St. Edward’s University remains closed through 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 24. This closure includes all on-campus, remote work, virtual classes and scheduled activities.
The safety of our students, faculty and staff remains a top priority for us. We continue to address and monitor on-campus services for our residential students as we work to prepare the campus for reopening. We are focused on mitigating weather impacts, and remaining cognizant of the pandemic to ensure everyone is following COVID safety guidelines.
We will continue to update this page to provide additional information as needed.
FACULTY AND STAFF:
- Only those essential on-campus employees supporting campus operations are to report to work, as they are safely able.
- Remote work is scheduled to resume on Wed. Feb. 24.
- Please see Campus Ministry’s Facebook page for additional programming updates throughout the week.
SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS’ WELLBEING AND MENTAL HEALTH
- The RAC Fitness Center, GroupX classes, Open Recreation, and Wellness Services will reopen for normal operations starting Monday, Feb. 22 at 8 a.m. Visit www.stedwards.edu/recreation-wellness for details and follow Recreation & Wellness social media channels for updates.
- As a reminder, COVID-19 protocols are still in place, and require students secure a reservation for all RecWell activities. Visit www.imleagues.com/SEU OR the RecWell Task Center on MyHilltop to reserve a spot now.
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER and STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES (VIRTUAL SUPPORT)
- Student Success Coaches and the Student Financial Aid Counselors virtual front desk will be available on Monday, Feb. 22 and Tuesday, Feb. 23 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
ON-CAMPUS DINING (Limited service availability):
- Hunt Hall Cafe is open Monday, Feb. 22 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Hours on Tuesday, Feb. 23 will be from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.
- The Meadow Coffeeshop (Jo’s) is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Grab & Goat service is currently closed. Service is tentatively scheduled to resume on Tuesday, Feb. 23 from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m.
HEALTH AND COUNSELING CENTER
- Students experiencing a state of mental health crisis can reach the on-call counselor by calling (512) 448-8444. Simply let UPD dispatch know that you are in crisis and would like to speak to the counselor on call. This is a confidential resource available to St. Edward’s students only.
- Once the university returns to normal operations, students can go back to connecting with crisis resources on campus by calling the HCC’s main number during business hours (512) 448-8538. After hours, please continue to call UPD to connect with the counselor on call.
ON-CAMPUS WATER RESOURCES:
We have made great strides in securing water supplies for our students living on campus. As Austin Water works to restore water service across the city, we continue to provide resources for residential students to have access to water for their essential needs.
- Water distribution stations for residential students have been set up, and Residence Life will provide direct communication to residential students on how to access these supplies.
- Students are reminded to please have their green badge, wear their face covering, practice 6-foot social distancing and wash their hands after picking up their water supply.
- Water containers will be refilled while SEU remains under the boil water notice. Should a water container become empty, residents can access emergency bottled water at their front desks.
- Residential students are encouraged to communicate with their residential staff (RDs and RAs) to address any immediate needs.
ON-CAMPUS RESIDENTIAL COMMUNITY:
- While the City has partially lifted the boil water notice, please note, the SEU remains under a water boil notice. Details regarding this notice can be found on the Austin Water website.
- All student residential communities remain fully staffed with live-in personnel who continue to make rounds to address student concerns.
- Residential students are encouraged to reach out to their Residential Assistant (RA) to address any specific questions or needs.
LOCAL WATER DISTRIBUTION AND OTHER RESOURCES
- The City of Austin has lists of locations where residents can get water supplies and other resources: http://www.austintexas.gov/weatherinfo.
EMERGENCY HOUSING RESOURCES:
- Limited, temporary emergency housing for students may be available. Students in need of emergency housing are asked to complete a student of concern form or contact UPD if they are unable to access the form.
COPING WITH DISASTER RESOURCE
- We understand that coping during and after a natural disaster such as this weather event can be stressful. UnitedHealthcare, SEU’s insurance broker, has set up a Coping Center to help our students (not just those insured); faculty, staff and their family members. Please note this resource is available to our entire SEU community, whether or not they are on the insurance plan. This Coping after a Natural Disaster document will provide you with more information on this resource.
- A 24-hour public crisis line is also available to provide emotional support by calling toll-free 1-866-342-6892.
- Due to this past week’s winter storm, Homecoming 2021 for the week of Sunday, Feb. 21 through Sunday, Feb. 28 is canceled. Some of the planned activities will be rescheduled; stay tuned for an announcement of new dates later this spring. More details to follow at a later date.
- The Admissions Office will continue to communicate to visitors about previously scheduled virtual visit events.
- COVID surveillance testing will resume once the Health and Counseling Center reopens; there is no need to reschedule past appointments. Please use the MyTruthPortal to schedule appointments on or after Wednesday, February 24.
St. Edward’s University to Reopen on Wed., Feb. 24
St. Edward’s University will resume remote and in-person classes and operations at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 24. We recognize that some members of our community may still be significantly impacted by the storm and may be unable to resume tomorrow as scheduled. If this is the case, please see the following:
Staff: Please consult with your supervisor regarding return to work
Faculty: Please consult with your Dean or supervisor
Students: Please work with your appropriate faculty member(s). We also encourage you to check in with the Student Success Center or your Success Coach.