Academic Accommodation Grievance Procedures

Any student having a complaint related to the determination of eligibility for and/or provision of disability-related services and accommodations through Student Disability Services at St. Edward’s University is entitled to prompt and equitable resolution of his/her complaint.  There are two (2) options for seeking resolution:

  1. Expedited administrative review by the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
  2. Formal federal agency grievance procedures.

Expedited Administrative Review by Academic Affairs & Student Disability Services Advisory Committee

A student may report a complaint, either in person or in writing, to the Associate VP for Academic Affairs, C/M 1048 or by phone at 512-448-8581. The complaint should include the following:

  1. the nature of the complaint;
  2. date(s) of alleged incident(s);
  3. information about attempts to resolve the complaint with the Student Disability Services staff member most directly empowered to make adjustments; and
  4. results of those attempts.

The student should also provide a signed Release of Confidential Information form for any information or documentation in the student’s file. 

The Associate VP for Academic Affairs shall determine if the complaint warrants an administrative review by an advisory committee.  If he/she decides that a review is not warranted, the Associate VP for Academic Affairs will contact the involved student and staff, informing them of that decision and the reasons therefor.

If the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs believes a complaint requires an administrative review, he/she shall convene a panel of three (3) to four (4) members to review the complaint.  The panel may include, but is not limited to, the Director of the Health and Counseling Center (or designee), the Associate Vice President of Student Academic Support Services, and a faculty member-at-large who is uninvolved in the student’s situation.  Additional members representing a specific, credentialed professional expertise pertinent to the situation may also be included.

The student may attend the panel meeting to present his/her case and may be accompanied by a faculty or staff advocate of his/her own choosing.  The advocate shall not participate in the panel’s vote.
The panel will convene and review the complaint in a timely manner, and a summary of the panel’s findings and recommendations will be forwarded to the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, who will contact the involved student and staff, informing them of a decision.  The decision of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs may be appealed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. In the event that time is of the essence in such an appeal and the Vice President for Academic Affairs is not available, the Executive Vice President may decide the appeal.

Formal Federal Agency Grievance Procedures

Students with grievances or complaints against the University based on violations of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act or the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA) also have the right to file a complaint with a designated federal agency.

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young Street, Suite 1169, 
Dallas, TX 75202
Voice Phone (800) 368-1019
FAX (214) 767-0432
TDD (800) 537-7697

U.S. Department of Education
1100 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Room 316
P.O. Box 14620, Washington DC  20046-4620
Telephone (202) 208-2545

Harassment or Discrimination Grievance Procedures

Any student who believes he/she has been a victim of harassment or discrimination in class or in another campus setting, should bring this matter to the Dean of Students, 512-448-8408, the Director of Human Resources 512-448-8587, or other appropriate administrators. For more information about the Harassment and Discrimination policy and procedures, see the Student Handbook.

General Academic Grievance Procedure

Academic grievances involving such matters as the instructor’s conduct of a class or a grade received for a particular test or assignment are to be settled by the concerned instructor and the student. If both parties fail to settle the dispute, either party may appeal to the dean of the appropriate school, New College or graduate program. If the grievance is not resolved with the aid of the dean of the school, the appeal may be made to the Associate VP for Academic Affairs. For more information about the Academic Grievance Policies, see the Student Handbook.

See additional SDS Policies and Procedures Guidelines