Dec 18, 2019
If you already decorated for the Christmas season you may have stumbled across some old or obsolete strings lights. Unfortunately, string lights are recycle contaminants and cannot be put into your city recycling bin. They can become tangled in recycle sorting equipment, which can damage and slow down recycling processes.
Luckily, the city has a few options this holiday season to sustainably dispose of these types of lights:
1. Texas Disposal Systems is partnering with the City of Georgetown to offer three special recycling drop-off stations at the following locations:
- City of Georgetown Transfer Station, 250 W.L. Walden Rd
- Georgetown Municipal Complex, 300-1 Industrial Ave.
- Georgetown Public Library, 402 W. Eighth St.
2. The City of Austin's Recycle and Reuse Drop-Off Center also accepts string lights. The drop-off center is located in south Austin and is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm and Saturday from 7am to noon.
Take a look at Austin Resource Recovery to learn more about drop-off locations and other household items that can be safely discarded.