We Help You in Four Ways
The St. Edward's University Writing Center offers four types of free, one-on-one writing help: in-person, videoconference, written feedback on drafts, and online Q&A.
How to Make An Appointment (YouTube)
How to make an appointment for a face-to-face or videoconference session.
Make an In-Person Appointment
To check for available appointments, schedule an appointment, or cancel an appointment, please use TutorTrac, our online scheduling app.
For help navigating TutorTrac, please use this step-by-step walkthrough.
To cancel an appointment, please click the X in the corner of your appointment block more than 2 hours before the appointment is to begin.
Learn more about our appointment and cancellation policies.
Make a Videoconference Appointment
To check for available appointments, schedule an appointment, or cancel an appointment, please use TutorTrac, our online scheduling app. Look for "Videoconference Writing Center" to find appointments for videoconference sessions. Write down the name of the consultant so you can accept their invitation to a Google Hangout at the appointed time.
NOTE: Please use a computer, not a smartphone or tablet. Phones and tablets usually don’t work well for videoconferencing.
- A few minutes before the appointment, launch Google Hangout using your St. Edward's login (not a personal Google account, your St. Edward's account)
- Double-check which consultant you have the appointment with. You can check in TutorTrac if you need to.
- At the appointed time, the consultant will start a Google Handout Meeting and invite you using your St. Edward's email address. Join them in the meeting and then you can begin the session.
- Remember that videoconferencing technologies don't always work perfectly the first time; please be patient and be willing to exit/reenter the meeting room if instructed by the consultant.
- Have your class syllabus and assignment with you in electronic form to share with the consultant, if they ask for them.
Submit a draft for written feedback
When your schedule doesn't allow you to make a real-time appointment, submit a draft online for written feedback (see navigation link for "online submission"). Response takes between 24 and 72 hours, depending on usage.
Submit a question
Have a brief writing question? Submit it online for an answer within about one day.