Business Administration (MBA)
In the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program at St. Edward’s, you’ll build skills that are highly aligned with and sought after in the dynamic business ecosystem of Austin and beyond. Our MBA program focuses on entrepreneurial thinking, social enterprise, innovation, global collaboration and business analytics — key competencies industry leaders tell us are needed in today’s business world.
As part of your coursework, you’ll go out into the community to work with organizations on consulting projects that address their strategic business needs. You’ll also learn from business leaders we bring to campus. And our partnerships with organizations, such as Capital Factory, open opportunities for networking and internships.
Watch the video to see Nancy Schreiber, dean of The Bill Munday School of Business, share her insights on the vision behind the St. Edward’s MBA and how this program prepares students to be successful in the creative economy.
Master of Business Administration
Convenient Class Schedules:
MBA courses are offered in a flexible, low-residency structure that accommodates your career and personal life. Students will …
• Attend three semesters per year. Each semester includes two 7-week terms.
• Take two 7-week courses per semester to complete the MBA in two years.
• Take four 7-week courses per semester to complete the MBA in one year.
• Meet on campus for a Saturday class three times during each 7-week course, with all other coursework delivered online.
The St. Edward’s MBA program provides an impactful and relevant business education through applied and experiential learning. You’ll gain a solid grounding in traditional business skills, such as accounting, economics, finance, marketing and management. And you’ll delve into business challenges in current and emerging technologies, trends and practices.
You’ll explore ways to:
• Leverage technology in all areas of business to improve outcomes
• Collect, analyze and apply complex data to optimize business decision-making
• Develop strategies and programs that maximize new and evolving marketing channels
• Transform continuous change and disruption into meaningful innovation and growth
• Integrate business goals with corporate responsibility and ethics
The MBA program includes substantial online content across most courses, preparing you to learn the way you work in today’s digital environment. In our small classes, you’ll get to know and interact with professors with years of practical experience in their fields, peers who share their professional insights and visiting speakers from diverse business sectors.
The foundation courses provide the necessary business background to enter the MBA program. You may be able to satisfy this requirement prior to enrollment in the program either with official transcript evidence of applicable undergraduate coursework in which you earned a “B” or better or through credit by examination.
Equivalent Undergraduate Coursework Required (3 Credit Hours Each):
• Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting
• Microeconomics and Macroeconomics
• Business Finance
If you need to fulfill these requirements, the MBA foundation courses are available online and on-demand and can be completed at your own pace.
I. CORE COURSES (24 CREDIT HOURS):
• Accounting for Managers
• Finance for Managers
• Big Data, Business Intelligence and Analytics
• Strategies in Operation Management
• Managing Dynamic Organizations
• Innovation and Disruption Management
• Social Responsibility of Business
• Marketing Management in a Digital Environment
II. ELECTIVE COURSES (9 CREDIT HOURS):
To best serve your career goals, you have the flexibility to complete three elective courses in accounting, business management, finance, marketing, digital management and/or global business. Or you can focus on a concentration in Accounting or Digital Management. (Accounting electives are offered through the Master of Accounting program.)
III. CAPSTONE (3 CREDIT HOURS):
In your final course, or Capstone, you’ll apply all you’ve learned throughout the MBA program to a strategic consulting project for a private, nonprofit or public organization. Students work in teams and can choose to collaborate on a local project or a global project with travel required.