In order to establish and retain eligibility in subsequent semesters or years you must meet specific requirements that may vary based on the source and type of aid received.  The links below share eligibility criteria regarding terms and conditions, students rights and responsibilities, enrollment status, satisfactory academic progress, appeals, maximum gift aid, consequences of withdrawing, refunds, penalties for drug convictions, study abroad, and summer.  All can affect your eligibility for aid.

Terms and Conditions Governing Financial Aid

When you receive financial aid at St. Edward's University, there are important conditions for you to understand before you accept your awards.  Carefully review these terms and conditions to have a better understanding of the financial aid policies as a financial aid recipient.  Students should read and understand all policies.

Financial aid is offered with the following conditions:

  • Financial aid award packages offered to students are individualized and reflect the student’s eligibility based on the information provided by the student and their parents on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each financial aid award package also factors in the student’s grade level, program of study, individual program, eligibility requirements, and funding levels. Federal financial aid awards are contingent on federal funding levels and are, therefore, subject to change based on Congressional action.
  • Your financial assistance is awarded based on merit and/or calculated need as determined from the information provided on your FAFSA. Financial aid awards are subject to adjustments or cancellations due to changes in laws, regulations, appropriations, changes in your financial situation, verification, discovery of data errors, changes in your enrollment status or changes in your residency status amongst others.
  • Students who have been previously incarcerated, are currently incarcerated, or who might be incarcerated during their current term of attendance must identify themselves to the Student Financial Services Office to determine their financial aid eligibility.
  • If you receive any financial assistance from an outside source (e.g., a private scholarship) that is not included in your financial aid awards, you must inform the Student Financial Services Office.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours minimum for undergraduate students for all semesters; four credit hours minimum for graduate students) to be eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s) in any single semester.
  • Registering in courses is not enough to secure your financial aid. You must also attend the courses in which you enroll. Student Financial Aid is required to verify that students who receive a non-passing grade in any class actually began attending the class. For example, if you receive an F in a course, no grade is reported, or you withdraw from a course, we will follow up to determine whether or not you attended the class. Failure to attend can be expensive: your aid could be reduced retro-actively and you may be required to repay aid you have received. If you have any questions about your enrollment and eligibility for financial aid, please contact the Student Financial Services Office.
  • If your enrollment plans change after you have been awarded your initial federal financial aid, you will need to notify the Student Financial Services Office. Your financial aid awards will be adjusted accordingly.
  • You must only be enrolled in classes required to complete your declared degree requirements, as specified in the St. Edward's University Student bulletin. You should refer to Degree Works to confirm that the coursework you are enrolled in is required to meet graduation requirements for your program.
  • Classes taken for audit are not eligible for financial assistance and do not count toward enrollment for purposes of financial assistance.
  • If requested, you must provide documents to verify the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA before financial aid can be awarded or disbursed.
  • You must not be in default on any federal educational loans nor owe any refunds on federal grants you have received at any post-secondary institution.
  • You may use financial aid funds only for education-related expenses incurred at St Edward’s University for the respective academic year. Check your account balance at least once a month to be sure you do not have unpaid charges.
  • St. Edward's University applies your financial aid awards directly to charges on your Student Account (including tuition, fees, housing, and other charges). Funds in excess of these charges will be released to you in a financial aid refund. Some institutional charges cannot be paid with Title IV (federal aid), thus you may still owe the University even if you receive a refund. If subsequent charges are made to your university account, it is your responsibility to pay them.
  • To remain eligible for financial aid, students must make "satisfactory academic progress" toward completion of a degree. Federal regulations require Student Financial Services to monitor the progress of each student toward their degree completion. Students who fail to achieve minimum standards for grade point average and completion of classes may lose their eligibility for all types of federal, state, and institutional aid.
  • University and state grants along with university scholarships are offered for a maximum of four years (8 semesters) of full-time enrollment to eligible students who enter as a freshman and up to a maximum of three years (6 semesters) of full-time enrollment to eligible students who enter as a transfer. Exceptions: graduating seniors in a final semester of a program and students with approved modified status through the Office of Student Disability Services.
  • Certain aid programs have higher academic requirements. You are also responsible for reviewing the additional eligibility requirements on the policy website.
  • If offered Federal Work-Study (FWS), you must work in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position to earn the FWS amount shown on your award letter. FWS funds are not disbursed to your Student Account and do not reduce the amount you owe the University. You receive a pay based on your student payment cycle.
  • If you are working toward a second bachelor's degree, you may be only eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s), if eligible.
  • You are not eligible for aid restricted to undergraduate students, such as the Federal Pell Grant or Federal SEOG, if you already earned a bachelor's degree or you are a graduate/professional student.
  • Financial aid awards are based on information provided by the student and are subject to revisions and/or cancellation at any time if: federal or state regulations change; federal, state, or institutional fund allocations change; estimated family contribution changes; student receives a scholarship, benefits, waiver, etc.; or an error is made in the calculation of your eligibility or award, whether by the federal aid servicer, private loan servicer, or St. Edward's University.
  • Students who accept a Direct Loan and parents who are approved for a PLUS loan are required to complete a Promissory Note for each loan type to receive the loan disbursement. Promissory notes must be completed during the term of enrollment in which the student would like to receive the loan disbursement.
  • The institution, state, and federal government are absolved of any and all responsibility for funding in the event that a grant and/or a loan or any other financial assistance is based upon fraudulent, inaccurate, or misleading information.
  • Ability to Benefit- you must show that you have qualified to obtain a college education by having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law.
  • Financial aid deadlines are published online
  • The acceptance of awards and/or the receipt of an electronic refund or check indicate my agreement to the terms and conditions of my awards.
  • I have read and understand my Rights and Responsibilities as a student.

Students' Rights and Responsibilities

Student Financial Services at St. Edward's University, in partnership with students (and students' parents) provides federal, state, and institutional funds to help defray the cost of education. Student financial aid recipients have a number of responsibilities and rights.

As a student financial aid recipient, it is your responsibility to:

  • reapply for financial aid each year by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submitting all required documents to Student Financial Services.
  • Financial aid is not automatically renewed each year.
  • Financial aid deadlines are published online
  • complete and submit application materials within required or preferred timeframes and check myHilltop to ensure all required forms have been submitted.
  • provide additional documentation or information as requested by Student Financial Services.
  • read and understand all materials sent to you from Student Financial Services and keep copies of all forms you sign.
  • comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all other agreements you sign.
  • know and comply with the federal, state, and institutional rules governing the financial aid you receive. This information is on the FAFSA, on the materials sent with your award notification, and on the Student Financial Services website. These rules include, but are not limited to, not being in default on any prior educational loan and not owing a refund on a federal grant due to repayment.
  • report other sources of student financial aid outside source (e.g., a private scholarship) that is not included in your financial aid awards to Student Financial Services.
  • use student financial aid proceeds solely for direct educational costs and related living expenses.
  • complete the class registration process each semester by the end of the official last day to late register or add courses in order to ensure availability of all student financial aid funds you have been awarded. Some aid programs may be subject to cancellation or reduction if your registration process is not completed by the official last day to late register or add courses.
  • know the implications that dropping a course or withdrawing from the University will have on your student financial aid.
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
  • keep your residing and permanent addresses current with the University by updating them on myHilltop.
  • check your university-assigned email account often since some information and requests are sent via email.
  • pay all previous semester charges appearing on your University bill before financial aid is disbursed for the current semester.
  • complete direct deposit information on myHilltop for any refunds.

As a student financial aid recipient, you have the right to:

  • know the correct procedures for applying for student financial aid, your cost of attendance, and the types of aid available.
  • know how financial need is determined, what the criteria are for awarding financial aid, how reasonable academic progress is determined, and what you have to do to continue receiving aid.
  • know the type and amount of assistance you will receive, how much of your financial need has been met, and how and when you will receive your financial aid funds.
  • view the contents of your student financial aid file, in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • know the conditions of any loan you accept.
  • know the terms, conditions, and pay rate for any student job you accept.


University and state grants along with university scholarships are offered for a maximum of four years (8 semesters) of full-time enrollment to eligible students who enter as a freshman and up to a maximum of three years (6 semesters) of full-time enrollment to eligible students who enter as a transfer.  Exceptions: graduating seniors in a final semester of a program and students with approved modified status through the Office of Student Disability Services

Federal direct student loans require the student enroll at least half-time in a degree seeking program. 

 Enrollment and Degree Verification, including Academic load details provided by the Registrar office.

To be included in determining the student’s enrollment status for financial aid eligibility, the course must be required within the student’s degree requirements. When a student repeats for the second time a previously passed course, the credits for this course are not included in the student’s enrollment status. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal, state, and university regulations require that St. Edward's University review the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive grants, university scholarships, loans, or work-study. Student Financial Services determines if a student is making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward earning their degree by reviewing grades and pace of completion at the close of each academic year (defined as summer, fall, and spring). Students who fail to meet one or more of the requirements are provided an opportunity to appeal.

Cumulative GPA Requirements (Qualitative Measure)

  University Scholarships   Annual Cumulative GPA
  Admission Scholar Award   at least 2.5
  Sorin Award   at least 2.5
  Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship   at least 2.5
  Transfer Opportunity Grant   at least 2.5
  Hilltopper Award   at least 2.5
  Trustee Merit Scholarship   at least 2.5
  Trustee Excellence Scholarship   at least 2.5
  Moreau Scholarship   at least 3.0
  Grants Annual Cumulative GPA
  Topper Grant   at least 2.0
  Red Doors Award   at least 2.0
  University Grants   at least 2.0
  Federal Grants   at least 2.0
  State Grants   at least 2.5
  Loans Annual Cumulative GPA
  Federal Direct Loan

  at least 2.0 Undergraduate

  at least 3.0 Graduate

  Texas College Access Loan   at least 2.0
  Texas B-On-Time Loan   at least 2.5

Remedial Courses

The credits and grades earned when taking a remedial course do not count toward the student’s degree requirements nor are they included in the cumulative GPA. However, remedial coursework must be included in the qualitative assessment of Satisfactory Academic Progress. These credits are also counted when calculating whether or not the student completed at least 75% of his/her attempted hours.

Completion Rate Percentage (Quantitative Measure)

As part of Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, students must also successfully complete 75% of their St. Edward's cumulative attempted coursework. This is calculated by dividing the total number of credit hours that a student has successfully completed by the total number of credit hours the student has attempted.

All St. Edward's coursework is counted toward attempted hours–including coursework taken when the student didn't receive financial aid when the student was in a different major, degree, or program, whether the coursework represents remedial (basic skills), incomplete coursework, or repeated coursework.

Incomplete, Fail, Withdrawal (Drop) or Withdrawal due to Absences is not considered successful completion.

Pass / No Pass

Courses graded solely on a Pass/No Pass basis are included when measuring academic progress. A Pass is considered meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

Students on an Academic Plan as part of financial aid probation, changing a course from a grade to Pass/No Pass does not change your cumulative GPA calculation.  However, it does impact your pace calcualtion.  A Pass is considered meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

Annual Earned Credit Hours

Full-time undergraduates receiving funding through university aid programs must earn at least 24 credit hours per academic year.   Full-time undergraduates at the end of their second year receiving funding through the state must earn at least 24 credit hours per academic year.

Maximum Timeframe for Program Completion

As part of the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, financial aid recipients must complete their degree program within a specific time frame. The maximum timeframe for completing a degree program is 150% of the published program length. For undergraduate degree programs, the maximum timeframe is 180 hours (120-hour degree plan x 150% = 180 hours). Graduate programs vary based on the individual program credit hour requirements. Refer to the bulletin which corresponds to your year of entry for your specific degree requirements. Enrolled students can also look up their degree requirements on Degree Works.

Academic Amnesty

There is no provision for the concept of academic amnesty in the federal student aid regulations.  St. Edward’s includes ALL previous coursework completed at St. Edward’s University in the review of Satisfactory Academic Progress. 


Students who have not met the academic requirements for continuation may appeal the loss of their Merit scholarship, Institutional Grant, and/or Federal aid to the Student Financial Services Office.  Students wishing to appeal the loss of their aid will be notified via their St. Edward’s email account with appeal instructions and deadline dates.  The appeal must be submitted to the Student Financial Service office no later than July 1 of the prior academic period.  Under unusual circumstances, a late appeal will be considered.  Students will receive a response within two weeks from the date the appeal is reviewed.  Please note that merely filing a SAP appeal does NOT guarantee continued eligibility for aid, as an appeal may be denied.  Students can access the Satisfactory Progress Appeal online form via MyHilltop.

Acceptable conditions to file an appeal include: injury or illness, the death of a relative, or other special circumstances.

The Satisfactory Progress Appeals Committee will review the information submitted and make a decision regarding continued eligibility for financial assistance. Submission of an appeal form does not guarantee approval by the committee. The decision of the Satisfactory Progress Appeals Committee is final.

Academic Plan

Students with approved appeals are placed on Financial Aid Probation. They receive financial aid one semester at a time until he/she meets SAP standards. Students are provided an Academic Plan which is a framework that would allow a student to meet SAP standards by a particular point in time. Students must meet the conditions of an Academic Plan during the first probationary semester in order to receive financial aid for the subsequent semester.

Merit Scholar Awards

Merit Scholar Adjustments

If a student is offered tuition assistance from multiple sources such as a St. Edward’s merit scholarship, veteran’s tuition assistance program, ROTC, Outside Private Scholarship, Tuition Remission, Tuition Exchange, etc., the combined total will not exceed the student’s tuition.  St. Edward’s merit scholarships may be reduced or canceled by other funding provided to the student that is designated as tuition assistance.    

Students that receive Post 9/11 Chapter 33 benefits at the 100% VA Education level are not eligible for Merit Scholarship funding. The University remains committed to generously funding veterans through our support of the Yellow Ribbon program.  

Annual Eligibility Renewal Requirements

To maintain eligibility for your university scholarship offered through St. Edward's Office of Admission,  you must meet specific requirements annually as part of the Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for financial aid recipients.

University Scholar Award Annual Eligibility Requirements
Moreau Scholar
  • Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher
  • Successfully complete at least 75% of attempted coursework with a passing grade (withdrawing from or failing a course is not considered successful completion)
  • Earn at least 24 credit hours per academic year (defined as summer, fall, and spring)

President's Distinguished

President's Excellence

President's Achievement

President's Merit

Dean's Excellence

Dean's Achievement

Dean's Merit

Trustee’s Excellence

Trustee’s Merit

Phi Theta Kappa

  • Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average or higher
  • Successfully complete at least 75% of attempted coursework with a passing grade (withdrawing from or failing a course is not considered successful completion)
  • Earn at least 24 credit hours per academic year (defined as summer, fall, and spring)

Maximum Years of Eligibility

Students entering as freshmen are eligible to receive their university scholar award for up to 4 years (8 semesters) of consecutive, full-time enrollment, as long as they meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement described above.

Students entering as transfers are eligible to receive their university scholar award for up to 3 years (6 semesters) of consecutive, full-time enrollment, as long as they meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement described above.

Maximum Gift Aid from All Sources

Merit scholarships are restricted to tuition expenses. Outside scholarships that are also restricted to tuition may reduce the amount of merit scholarship should the combined total exceed the cost of tuition. 

Scholarships and grants from all sources, except Pell Grant, should not exceed the total of tuition, comprehensive fee + $4,000 in the academic year.  Scholarships and grants from all University sources should not exceed tuition + fees. 

Exception:  A student that receives an outside scholarship that covers up to the total cost of education.  

Veteran & ROTC Tuition Assistance

Post 911 tuition assistance and yellow ribbon assistance are not included in the student’s financial aid package when determining eligibility for federal loans.  Post 911, Vocational Rehab and ROTC tuition assistance are included in the student’s financial aid package for university and state scholarship & grant determination.


  • Hard Exemption - Student aid, excluding Pell Grant, cannot exceed tuition, comprehensive fee, Hunt Suite, and highest meal plan (without Topper Tender). 
  • Soft Exemption - Student aid cannot exceed tuition, comprehensive fee + $4,000 for the academic year.   

Cost of Attendance Limit
Under no circumstances can the combined total of all financial assistance awarded, including outside scholarships, exceed the full cost of attendance (tuition, fees, housing, meals, indirect costs) established for each student.

Consequences of Withdrawing

St. Edward's University Return of Title IV Policy  

Click here for the Return of Title IV Federal Student Financial Aid Funds Policy .

Dropping Coursework

Students who receive financial assistance and do not register for the number of hours their aid is based upon or drop below that number before the end of the semester may have their assistance offer revised. This revision may include the revocation of any and all grant funds and the return of student loan funds to the lender. Additionally, such students may lose future eligibility for financial assistance depending upon the number of classes they drop.

Completely Withdrawing

According to institutional policy as well as state and federal regulations, if a student who receives financial assistance completely withdraws from the university:

  1. Student Financial Services will calculate the amount of that student’s assistance which must be returned to the original funding sources by comparing the amount of the assistance “earned” through attending classes with the amount “unearned” because the student withdrew from school before the end of the term. Depending upon the withdrawal date, a student may lose all (or a significant portion) of his /her financial assistance.
  2. If a student withdraws outside of a tuition refund period, that student may also end up owing the institution a significant amount of money, especially if the financial assistance, which was paid toward the tuition costs, is returned back to the original funding sources. If or when such a balance occurs, payment in full for the debt will be due to the university immediately. Additionally, St. Edward’s University will withhold that student’s academic transcript until the debt has been paid. If the university is not paid, the debt will be turned over to a collection agency which will add additional fees to the already existing debt.
  3. Finally, if a student completely withdraws during a semester, he/she will lose future eligibility for financial assistance through St. Edward’s University (with the possible exception of withdrawal due to extreme mitigating circumstances).

Refund Policy

Your student account may become eligible for a credit balance refund if financial aid received exceeds charges or after application of a tuition or fee credit.  Refunds are not granted for expected future payments, such as financial aid not yet disbursed. The university will begin processing refunds approximately 10 days prior to the start of each term.  Refunds are processed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays each week.  Refunds as a result of financial aid funds must be used to cover education-related expenses such as off-campus housing expense, transportation, books, or supplies.
The university requires all students to set up a direct deposit account in the Billing Center for delivery of refunds electronically (also called an eRefund).  You may designate a bank account through the Billing Center in myHilltop.  Under "My Profile Setup" to the right of the screen, click Electronic Refunds and complete your "Payment Profile."  Most banks will process your direct deposit refund within 3 – 4 business days.
Note: Federal law requires that when a credit balance on a student’s account is the result of a Federal Direct PLUS Loan disbursement, the balance must be sent to the parent borrower, not the student, unless the parent borrower has submitted written authorization allowing the balance to either be held on the student account or released to the student.

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

Loss of Eligibility Due to a Drug Conviction

A student, who is convicted of a state or federal offense involving the possession or sale of an illegal drug that occurred while the student was enrolled in school and receiving Title IV aid, is not eligible for Title IV funds. [An illegal drug is a controlled substance as defined by the Controlled Substance Act and does not include alcohol and tobacco.]

A borrower's eligibility is based on the student's self-certification on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Convictions that are reversed, set aside or removed from the student's record, or a determination arising from a juvenile court proceeding do not affect eligibility and do not need to be reported by the student.

A student who is convicted of a drug-related offense that occurred while the student was enrolled in school and receiving Title IV aid loses Title IV eligibility as follows:

          Possession of Illegal Drugs         Sale of Illegal Drugs
  1st Offense    1 year from date of conviction    2 years from date of conviction
  2nd Offense    2 years from date of conviction    Indefinite period from date of 2nd conviction
  3+ Offense    Indefinite period from date of 3rd conviction  

Regaining Eligibility After a Drug Conviction

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program that includes passing two unannounced drug tests given by such a program. Further drug convictions will again make him ineligible.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it, either after successfully completing a rehabilitation program (as described below, which includes passing two unannounced drug tests from such a program), or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify with the Student Financial Services office that she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program.

Standards for a Qualified Drug Rehabilitation Program

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unan­nounced drug tests and satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.

Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

Additional information regarding students with criminal convictions can be located online through Federal Student Aid

Study Abroad

Students who participate in a St. Edward's University approved study abroad program or faculty-led program for a fall/spring semester can be considered for Institutional, Federal, and State aid. 

Summer programs vary in the ways financial aid can be applied.   Please contact your Student Financial Services counselor to discuss. 

Federal Work-Study is not available while abroad. 

Your financial aid package will be reviewed by Student Financial Services for the semester/year abroad.   Please contact your Student Financial Service counselor to discuss all financing options. 

Veterans interested in an abroad program must first meet with the Military and Veterans Affairs Coordinator to determine program eligibility and funding.

Students can learn more about abroad programs, including information regarding scholarships and fellowships, through the Study Abroad office.

Summer Aid

If you are planning on attending summer term, financial aid may be available.   Please contact your Student Financial Services counselor to discuss all financing options. 

St. Edward's University offers aid in the form of a Federal Pell Grant or student/parent loans only for summer.  Undergraduates who plan to graduate in summer or fall term may be eligible for Institutional aid.  Students must continue to apply, meet all eligibility requirements and policies.  

Visiting students are not eligible for financial aid through St. Edward's University.