Working part-time as a student employee while you're going to college can provide more than just money. Your job can give you a break from the pressures of academic life, helping you learn new things and meet new people. The ability to work before, between and after scheduled classes is also a benefit of working as a student employee at St. Edward’s. 

There are a variety of opportunities for student employment in on-campus positions and off-campus community service positions. When considering employment with the university, you should weigh the advantages of locating a job that matches your special skills, interest and/or academic major.

On-campus student employment at St. Edward’s is offered through a wide variety of departments. Students can be paid directly by the department or through a work-study program. 

Student positions paid directly by a department enable students to work on-campus even though they do not have a work-study award through the Office of Student Financial Services. University departments hire approximately 800 student employees under this program. The large number of job opportunities funded by this program helps illustrate the investment university departments commit to student employees.

The work-study program provides students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience through part-time employment. Participants must have demonstrated financial need and have a work-study award as part of their financial aid offer through the Office of Student Financial Services. Examples of jobs include tutors, office assistants, recreational assistants, facilities assistants and event staff.  Each year, approximately 250 students are funded for job opportunities through this program based on the work-study allocation provided to the university by the state and federal governments.

Work study is coordinated through the Office of Student Financial Services (SFS). SFS is located in Main Building, Room 204. Our office can be contacted at (512) 448-8523 locally or toll-free at (800) 555-0164. Office hours are 8am-5pm Monday through Friday.

Off-campus community service offers students a chance to gain work experience while also giving back to the community.

Who should I contact?

  • General Employment: Human Resources (512-448-8587)
  • Work Study: Student Financial Services (512-448-8523)
  • Job Postings (Hilltop Careers/Handshake) and Assistance in Applying for Student Employment Positions: Career and Professional Development (512-448-8530)

Policies - General information regarding the policies specific to students employed by St. Edward's can be found in the student employee and university employee policies. In addition to the information and policies stated in the Employee Handbook, student employees of St. Edward's have specific policies pertaining to their employment. Any discrepancy between information found between the Employee Handbook and the policies outlined for student employees is resolved in favor of the student employment policies.

Find a Job

All on-campus and off-campus positions and internships associated with St. Edward's, as well as general off-campus positions and internships not associated with the university are listed through Hilltop Careers powered by Handshake. Please follow the instructions below to begin your job search.

On-Campus Job Search: 

  • Log in to Hilltop Careers using the blue St. Edward's University Single Sign On button
  • Once logged in and your profile is complete, select the On-Campus option under the Jobs tab
  • Click on the Search button

To search for on-campus positions that are only open to work study students:

  • Follow the steps above to search for an on-campus position, then
  • Click on the Filters option below the search bar
  • Check the box for Work Study
  • Click on See Jobs

Off-Campus Job Search:

  • Log in to Hilltop Careers using the blue St. Edward's University Single Sign On button
  • Under the Jobs tab, use the search bar or select from the different options and filters available below the search bar
  • Click on the Search button
Complete Hiring Paperwork

All student employees are responsible for completing the appropriate hiring documentation to ensure access to timesheets and for payment of time worked.

Student employees working more than one job must request hiring forms from each supervisor. For example, a student employee working with the Recreation Center and the Library during the same semester must request separate hiring forms for each position. 

A student who holds more than one student employment position is still limited to a maximum of 20 total hours of work per week.

New Student Employees

  • Once hired, complete the I-9 Form in person at the Office of Human Resources with the appropriate original, unexpired documentation (copies of documentation will not be accepted).   To complete your I-9 form you will need to present documentation that verifies your citizenship status and eligibility to work in the US. 

Typical documentation presented by students is listed below:

Driver's license/state ID card and US Social Security card, or

Driver’s license/state ID card and US Birth Certificate, or

A valid U.S. Passport​​

Students can also see additional acceptable documentation options through USCIS

  • Complete hiring forms with your supervisor

New International Student Employees

  • Visit with the International Student Services Office (Moody Hall, Rm 102) to begin the hiring process

Returning Student Employees

  • Request your hiring paperwork from your supervisor
Get Paid

To ensure proper payment for time worked, student employees must complete their timesheet on a bi-monthly basis

Accessing/Completing Timesheets:

  • Log in to your myHilltop account
  • Select the Submit/Review Timesheets task
  • Follow the timesheet tutorial video to ensure that your timesheet is completed correctly

Student Pay Information: 

View Work Study Earnings - Student employees who receive wages through the work-study program can view their work-study earnings through their myHilltop account. To access this information, please complete the steps below


Pay Rates - Students are paid standard rates based upon classification

Classification Pay Rate
Freshman (0 - 29 credit hours) $8.00/hr
Sophomore (30 - 59 credit hours) $8.25/hr
Junior (60 - 89 credit hours) $8.50/hr
Senior (90 or more credit hours) $8.75/hr
Graduate Student $8.75/hr


Pay Dates - Student wages through the remaining pay periods of the 2019 calendar year will be paid according to the following schedule.

Pay Period Pay Date
07/16/19 - 07/31/19 Aug. 15th
08/01/19 - 08/15/19 Aug. 30th
08/16/19 - 08/31/19 Sept. 13th
09/01/19 - 09/15/19 Sept. 30th
09/16/19 - 09/30/19 Oct. 15th
10/01/19 - 10/15/19 Oct. 31st
10/16/19 - 10/31/19 Nov. 15th
11/01/19 - 11/15/19 Nov. 27th
11/16/19 - 11/30/19 Dec. 13th
12/01/19 - 12/15/19 Dec. 20th


Why On Campus Jobs are Great

Do you want to gain real-world experience, plus some extra money without even having to leave campus? Discover the many benefits of an on-campus job.