Strategic Planning for the Future
As St. Edward’s University pursues an ambitious future with the leadership of President Montse Fuentes, members from across the university community are working together to plan the next era of success. While we complete Strategic Plan 2022, we are also looking forward to develop Strategic Plan 2027 in three phases:
- Initial discovery: Summer 2021
- University-wide collaboration: Fall 2021
- Conclusion: Winter 2022
President Fuentes asked interim provost, Marianne Ward-Peradoza, and vice president for Finance and Administration, Kim Kvaal, to co-chair the planning process. Faculty, staff, students, alumni and trustees have collaborated since July 2021, and university-wide input and participation will occur throughout the Fall 2021 semester and beyond.
Strategic Planning 2027 Committee Members
- Marianne Ward-Peradoza, co-chair, Interim Provost
- Kim Kvaal, co-chair, Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Glenda Ballard, Associate Vice President for Graduate and Professional Programs
- Jason Callahan, Faculty Senate President
- Catherine Campbell, Dean of the School of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Christie Campbell, Vice President for Marketing and Communications
- Brother Richard P. Daly, CSC ’61, Trustee
- Jae De Leon, Student Government President
- Joe DeMedeiros, Vice President for Advancement
- Marie Gonzalez ’05, Trustee
- Jon Hodge, Dean of the School of Natural Sciences
- Monique Jiménez-Herrera, Associate Vice President for Faculty Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Lisa Kirkpatrick, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Laura Lucas, Staff Council Chair
- Tracy Manier, Vice President for Enrollment. Management
- Sharon Nell, Dean of the School of Arts and Humanities
- Victoria Pilsner ’07, MSPM ’10
- Nicole Treviño ’99, MAHS ’01, Associate Vice President for Student Success
- David Waldron, Vice President for Information Technology
- Father Peter Walsh, CSC, Director of Campus Ministry
Continuing Strategic Plan 2022 Initiatives
At St. Edward’s, providing a transformative educational experience for students is central to our mission. It’s our passion. So, too, are we committed to our own continuing transformation as a thriving liberal arts university.
Inspired by visionary leadership and our Holy Cross tradition, our enthusiasm, commitment and shared sense of purpose have fueled academic innovations, outstanding student and alumni achievements, prestigious national rankings, and a growing international presence.
Since 1999, we’ve implemented a series of ambitious strategic plans and achieved them with unprecedented success. From 1999 to 2009, we realized our vision of being recognized as one of the country’s best small universities — a distinction we’ve held for 17 consecutive years and counting. From 2010 to 2014, we made tremendous strides in preparing students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st-century world, with an emphasis on global learning. Most recently, from 2015 to 2019, we focused on preparing students for the demands of accelerating technological, economic and cultural changes.
As we celebrate our accomplishments, we move forward on important strategic priorities for 2022. We do so in uncertain times, when political, economic and cultural forces are creating dramatic societal change. Strategic Plan 2022 guides our transformation and growth in this era, bolstering our standards of academic excellence as we prepare students for fulfilling futures, professionally and personally.
A Dedication to Excellence and Collaboration
Strategic Plan 2022 is the product of university-wide participation. Facilitated by our Strategic Plan Steering Committee, we spent a year conducting discussions across campus about our aspirations, needs and opportunities for enhancing our academic community to better serve our students. More than 150 faculty, staff and students contributed rich and thoughtful feedback to priorities and a vision that will shape St. Edward’s over the next five years. From these conversations, the committee identified and refined four central themes for the plan.
The resulting Strategic Plan 2022 outlines the kind of relevant, individualized educational experience St. Edward’s strives to offer. It emphasizes flexibility and success. With guidance from a dedicated faculty and staff, students are embarking on unique educational pathways driven by imagination and initiative. Our students have constant opportunities for self-realization — and with a supportive campus community behind them, they become thoughtful, engaged leaders and global citizens, ready to take on their world.
A Stewardship of Progress
Energized by Strategic Plan 2022, we are working together toward our vision, learning, adjusting and improving our process along the way. The St. Edward’s University Planning Council, made up of faculty, staff and students, oversees the implementation of the strategic plan. Council members track our progress on strategic priorities, and refine and renew the plan as needed.
At St. Edward’s University, every student will explore transformational pathways to knowledge, experience, understanding and achievement.