We’ll guide and support you throughout your St. Edward’s experience.
College can be both exciting and scary, and we are here to help you successfully transition to St. Edward’s, and excel throughout your undergraduate time on the hilltop.
Your dedicated success coach within Academic Counseling & Exploration will help you select your classes and navigate the changes that college brings. Upperclassman, in addition to working with a success coach, are also paired with a faculty advisor who focuses in their area of study. As an upperclassmen, your success coach and faculty advisor will both work with you to develop your personalized roadmap for a transformational experience — both in and out of the classroom.
Navigating Your Journey at St. Edward’s
During your undergraduate college career, your success coach will help you navigate:
- Becoming a Hilltopper at orientation and finding your class schedule for your first semester, whether you are an incoming freshman or transfer student.
- Exploring majors and minors within the academic schools.
- Acknowledging dates and deadlines from the Academic Calendar.
- Advising and preparing you for course registration each semester.
- Assisting with your questions related to academic forms.
- Introducing you to your faculty advisor, who will be your professional mentor and a critical part of your success team.
- Completing your journey at St. Edward’s by applying for graduation.
Partnering with Your Success Team
Your success coach will collaborate with faculty and staff to make sure that you have everything that you need to succeed in your journey.
After your freshman year, you will be assigned a faculty advisor who will partner with you and your success coach. Your success coach will continue to make sure that you are meeting degree requirements. Your faculty advisor will provide expert insights related to your major and goals and serve as a mentor for you along the way. Before registration each semester, upperclassmen will meet with both their success coach and faculty advisor to prepare for upcoming milestones.
Building Your Academic Plan
Understanding all the courses you need to take to graduate can be overwhelming. Your success coach will help you build a customized academic plan to account for your particular major, minor and goals.
Why do you need an academic plan?
- To help you understand your degree requirements
- To build in experiential learning opportunities like study abroad, research, internships and academic-based service
- To determine if summer school is right for you
Degree Works is the tool to assist you in making an academic plan.
Selecting Your Classes
Your success coach will help you select the classes that match your academic and professional goals and degree requirements. Together you will discuss:
- Your degree plan
- Course sequencing
- Class selection
- Course registration
Freshmen: It's helpful for you to meet with your success coach before course registration begins each semester.
Upperclassmen: In addition to meeting with your success coach, you will also meet with your faculty advisor to review your upcoming semester, discuss future plans and receive your PIN.