As a result of COVID-19, we know this is a time of high anxiety and concern. Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for all St. Edward's University students to get connected to services. The Health and Counseling Center (HCC) is committed to providing quality student services focused on enhancing academic success, personal development and well-being. All St. Edward's University students are eligible for services.
The university is actively monitoring the impacts of the novel coronavirus and taking the necessary precautions to minimize negative effects to our campus community. We will continue to provide updates and details on our Alerts page.
As of April 5, 2020, Health Services is no longer operating out of the HCC. If in need of medical services, we encourage students to take advantage of the Virtual Visit* capability, available through the HealthiestYou mobile app.
- Students under the university health insurance plan have access at no charge, when included with their UHCSR medical plan. Visit your UHCSR account for more information.
- Students with other insurance (non-student health insurance plan) can still access the HealthiestYou mobile app, but can expect to pay a $40 copay. The copay must be paid with a credit card.
- Students with their own private insurance are encouraged to look into any telemedicine options their own insurance companies may provide.
If you have a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.
Counseling Services is currently offering services remotely. Learn more about these services.
If you're experiencing a psychological emergency that is life-threatening or involves a risk of harm to yourself or others:
- During business hours: Call our main counseling number at 512-448-8538. We will offer the opportunity to talk with the clinician on duty over the phone.
- After hours: Call UPD at 512-448-8444 to connect to the counselor on call system or call 9-1-1.
Additional Telecounseling Resources
In addition to HCC services, students also have access to additional counseling resources.
Optum is opening its Emotional-Support Help Line, providing access to trained mental health specialists who support people experiencing anxiety or stress following the recent developments around COVID-19. Optum’s toll-free help line number, 866-342-6892, will be open 24/7, for as long as necessary. The service is free of charge and open to anyone.
Through the Student Assistance Program, students have access to unlimited assessment, counseling and individual crisis intervention, also free of charge. All students have access to this resource 24/7 via phone, text, video, email and private chat. For more information, please call 1-855-850-4301.
Student Telehealth Resources
Through SEU's partnership with United Healthcare, students are now able to have access to telehealth resources. SHIP member and non-member students can access remote services for both medical and counseling needs. To learn more about telemedicine resources, please call 1-855-870-5858 or visit telehealth4students.com. For counseling, go to counseling4students.com. SHIP members are not charged for consultations of either service.
Behavioral Intervention Team
The St. Edward’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) cares for students, faculty, and staff who may be in distress. Keep our community healthy and safe — learn how to report a concern, identify the behaviors of someone in distress, and become familiar with available resources.