St. Edward’s University’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) cares for students, faculty and/or staff who may be in distress. The BIT organizes resources and implements a coordinated response with the goal of providing assistance to the individual while mitigating risk in an effort to keep the university community healthy and safe. The BIT is made up of both a Threat Assessment Team and a Students of Concern Committee.
When to Make a Report
Do you know someone who is:
- Experiencing a decline in work or academic performance?
- Demonstrating disruptive or disturbing behavior?
- Showing dramatic changes in appearance, behavior or weight?
- Having problems at home, with classes or work?
- Making disturbing comments in conversation, email, letters, social media postings or papers?
- Sad, anxious or experiencing dramatic mood shifts?
- Abusing alcohol or drugs?
- Isolating themselves socially?
- Acting paranoid or suspicious?
- Frequently angry or easily frustrated?
- Struggling with health problems?
These behaviors, especially when more than one are present, may be signs that a student, faculty member or staff member is in distress. There are many resources available at St. Edward’s University to help. For more information, consult the Dean of Students Office at 512-448-8408 for student concerns. Please contact the Office of Human Resources at 512-448-8540 for concerns regarding staff and faculty. If this is an emergency and requires immediate attention, please contact the Unviersity Police Department at 512-448-8444.
Your confidential report to the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) can make a difference.
Behavioral Intervention Team Members
lisak [at] stedwards.edu (Lisa L. Kirkpatrick, PhD) (Chair)
Vice President of Student Affairs
stevep [at] stedwards.edu (Steven Pinkenburg)
Dean of Students
aliciav [at] stedwards.edu (Alicia Vela, PhD)
Director of Residence Life
vavinape [at] stedwards.edu (Vanessa Pena, PhD)
Director of the Health & Counseling Center
homerh [at] stedwards.edu (Homer Huerta)
Commander of the University Police Department
connierr [at] stedwards.edu (Connie Rey Rodriguez)
Associate Dean of Students, Director of Student Welfare
kendalls [at] stedwards.edu (Kendall Swanson)
Director of Student Disability Services
nicoleg [at] stedwards.edu (Nicole Guerrero Trevino)
Associate Vice President of Academic Services
sharonburke [at] stedwards.edu (Sharon Burke)
Chief Human Resources Officer/Title IX Deputy Coordinator