- Students must complete the St. Edward’s University registration process by the Wednesday before the desired testing date. (Registration is not assured until the student receives confirmation from the testing coordinator.)
- Students must also create an account, register and pre-pay the CLEP test fee for the test the student is taking.
- Students taking the DSST will register and pay the test fee on the day of the test in the testing room.
- All students testing will pay the $35 administration fee at the Testing Center on the day of the exam.
- NO walk-in testing is permitted.
- Students must arrive within 30 minutes of the test start time to begin the test. Students who fail to show on time must reschedule their exam.
- It is the examinee’s responsibility to speak with their success coach and/or faculty advisor about what credit will be given for specific tests. The Academic Support Programs office does not provide advising information.
- Reference books, notes, study guides, calculators, cell phones and smart watches are not permitted during test administration. All cell phones must be turned off during the testing session and all personal belongings placed away from the computers being used for testing.
Testing Accommodations Policy
- Please indicate on the St. Edward's CLEP/DSST Reservation Request form that you are requesting accommodations based on a disability, and indicate which testing accommodations you are requesting. Student Disability Services (SDS) coordinates with the CLEP/DSST testing administrator for all accommodation requests. Please note that accommodation requests for CLEP exams require notice of at least one week, and your exam date may need to be rescheduled, depending on accommodation determination and implementation. Accommodation requests for DSST exams require at least 30-days notice to coordinate.
- CLEP Exams: The College Board requires documentation of a disability to provide testing accommodations. The CLEP/DSST testing administrator will reach out to SDS to verify your registration with SDS and if you are currently approved for your requested accommodations at St. Edward’s. Certain accommodation requests may require further review by SDS, which may require rescheduling of your exam date. The testing administrator will email you to indicate the status of your request and any further information and coordination that is needed.
- DSST Exams: All requests for accommodations for the DSST exam are made through Prometric. You will need to fill out this form prior to the exam, which includes a section that must be filled out by your SDS disability counselor or another qualified professional. Once the form is complete, it needs to be faxed to Prometric at least 30 days before your desired testing date. If you need assistance faxing the document, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Active/Reserve Military and Department of Defense Civilian Personnel Policy
Military personnel follow the same process for registration as civilian students.
The College Board may waive some of their fees for military and Department of Defense personnel. See the CLEP Military Testing Policy.
- Repeating Examinations: CLEP examinations may not be repeated within 3 months of the testing date. DSST examinations may not be repeated within 90 days of the testing date. Scores on tests repeated earlier will be canceled and test fees forfeited. Exceptions to this policy must have the approval of the associate vice president for Academic Affairs and the appropriate school dean. Exceptions to this policy are rarely made and are considered only when there are documented extenuating circumstances.
- CLEP and DSST credit will be recorded on the transcript without a grade.
- Only official ETS or DANTES CLEP reports are acceptable.
- No credit will be granted as a result of satisfactory CLEP or DSST scores to a student who has already received credit toward a degree at St. Edward’s University in the same course, including transfer credit.
- Students entering St. Edward’s University as first-time freshmen must take at least one semester of freshman writing on campus regardless of their CLEP College Composition score.
- No credit is granted for College Composition Modular, Freshman English or English Composition with essay examinations.
- Arrangements for all testing must be completed prior to certification for graduation, and all examination scores must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by July 1 for summer graduation, Oct. 1 for fall graduation and March 1 for spring graduation.