St. Edward's University will be administering CLEP and DSST exams during the Fall 2020 semester. Due to social distancing guidelines and physical constraints in our testing facility, we will only be administering exams for students of St. Edward's while prioritizing seniors and students close to graduation. If you are not a student of St. Edward's and need to take a CLEP exam, the closest testing facilities are Texas State University's Round Rock location and San Marcos location. If you are not located in the Austin area, you can find another testing facility here.
Students of St. Edward's University can request a seat by following the instructions found here.
Updated Procedures for CLEP/DSST Testing
All students testing must abide by St. Edward's COVID-19 community standards:
- Physical distancing
- All testers must stay 6 feet away from any other person at all times
- Face covering
- Everyone in the Testing Center must wear a face covering at all times
- Daily screening (green badge)
- Students must show the Testing Coordinator their "green badge" from their daily screening on the Topper Safe app
The Testing Center has updated procedures to ensure a clean testing space:
- All materials and work spaces are sanitized prior to any testing session
- Social distancing signage and markings have been installed to assist with physical distancing
- Plexiglass has been installed around the Testing Coordinator's administration station
- If you are taking an exam that has an audio component, the headset has been sanitized
Credit by Exam and Placement Testing
The university participates in the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), which is administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Credit also is granted through the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES), a program made available by the Education Testing Service (ETS).
Credit granted by examination is applicable to a St. Edward's University degree program but may not necessarily be transferable to another institution. Examination credit counts in neither the residence hours nor honors calculations. It is necessary to make arrangements to complete all CLEP, DSST, PEP and challenge exams prior to certification for graduation. All examination credit appears on the transcript as CR and does not affect the GPA in any way.
Students entering St. Edward’s University as first-time freshmen must take at least one semester of freshman writing on campus regardless of their CLEP College Composition score.
The Testing Center at St. Edward's University offers a variety of exams for students and members of the community here on campus:
- CLEP (College-Level Examination Program): Exams you can take to receive college credit for a course and help accelerate your education. The CLEP registration is open to anyone in the community. To see if you qualify to take the CLEP test, click here.
- DSST (Dantes Subject Standardized Test): Exams you can take to receive college credit for a course and help accelerate your education. The DSST registration is open to anyone in the community. To see if you qualify to take the DSST test, click here.
- Modern Language Placement Exam: Exam you can take, usually during orientation, to determine which modern language course a students should take so they are not taking a class where they have mastered the needed skills. This is limited to St. Edward's University students only. For more details about if you qualify for testing, please contact jordanw [at] stedwards.edu (subject: Modern%20Language%20Placement) (Jordan Watzlavick).
- Math Placement Exam: Exam taken by each incoming first year students taken prior to orientation to determine which math course you will need to select your first semester at St. Edward's University. This is limited to St. Edward's students only and no credit is awarded for taking this exam. You will receive information about how to take the ALEKS assessment when you register for orientation.
- Composition Placement Exam: Exam you take during orientation to determine which composition course you will need to select your first semester at St. Edward's University. This is limited to St. Edward's students only and no credit is awarded for taking this exam.