The Bill Munday School of Business
Associate Professor of Organization Development
- PhD in Education at University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1999
- MEd in Adult Education Human Resource Development and Leadership Program at University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1992
- BS in Psychology at Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri, 1977
Why I Teach
As the saying goes: “None of us are as smart as all of us.” In this spirit, I design my courses so my students directly engage and learn with me. For example, in one class I use a learning contract so students outline and commit to their learning objectives, activities and even their final grade.
I know that this kind of educational dialogue generates positive change in my life and allows me to make a difference. As a lifelong learner, I hope to be a curious, open teacher and learn from my students for many years to come.
- Dr. Porter’s research focuses on leading change, ethics, social entrepreneurship and complexity theory as it applies metaphorically to organizations
- She has published a variety of articles on management and social science topics including executive competencies, applied social value, and shared values
- Her current research agenda covers emergence in organizations, organizational change and agent effectiveness.
- Recent research articles include: ‘Complexity Science: The Problem with Problems in Organizations,’ ‘Supervisory Dilemmas for a Health Care Manager,’ ‘Observing and Learning from Social Entrepreneurship: Creation of Social Value through Meaningful Actions,’ ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution: A Central Texas Center,’ ‘The changing role of the 21st century manager’
- Since 1982, Dr. Porter has worked with a wide variety of organizations, including educational institutions, governmental agencies, family businesses and Fortune 50 companies
- Dr. Porter authored a column in NSIDE Magazine, a business-to-business publication for the Austin business community. She wrote on topics such as ‘Change Leadership,’ ‘Virtual Leadership,’ and ‘Austin & Ethics.’
- Recent consulting and executive training programs include projects at Dell Computers, FoxConn, Benefits Design, Marconi Communications, Austin Independent School District, Texas State University, Vermeer Manufacturing, Toyko Electron, and Applied Materials.
- More than 25 years of internal and external OD consulting experience creating synergistic solutions to human problems that impact business
- Provided value-added support in the development of business model strategy, framework, process mapping and roadmaps to deliver exceptional support to internal and external stakeholders
- Designed, led and evaluated small, medium and large-scale change initiatives
- Created successful base level establishment, process improvement, evaluation and recognition processes