School of Natural Sciences
Professor of Biology and Computer Science
- PhD in Forestry at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 1982
- MS in Forestry at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 1978
- BS in Forest and Range Management at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 1973
Why I Teach
I do my best to imagine being in my students’ shoes in order to get a stronger sense of what they need to learn and grow as individuals. In the classroom, I like to move around so that I can literally see and hear things from my students’ perspectives.
Outside of the classroom, I provide my students with a variety of research opportunities in order to enhance their understanding of particular subject areas. This kind of hands-on experience helps to develop their skills and overall knowledge. I love watching my students learn and grow.
- Assistant Area Manager and Range Conservationist, United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, North Carolina State University
- Systems Analyst/Programmer, Science Applications, Inc.
- Interim Associate Academic Dean, St. Edward’s University
- Chair of Biology Program, St. Edward’s University
- Interim Dean of the School of Natural Sciences, St. Edward’s University
Quinn’s research includes in-depth studies of plant biology, soils, water quality and bird habitats in the U.S. and Europe. He has published a variety of papers on topics that directly impact environmental management and sustainability.
Recent research presentations include: “Iron Reductase Activity in Annual Sunflower,” “Temperature and Vegetative Effects on Soil Respiration in an Alkaline Clay of Central Texas,” “Water Quality: Surveillance of Potential Exogenous Nutrients in a Watershed Bordered by Residential Development.”
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Texas Academy of Science, President and Fellow
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- St. Edward’s University Teaching Excellence Award