Homemade Salsa Contest
Savor the Flavor at the Ultimate Homemade Salsa Showdown! Calling all spice aficionados and culinary creatives: join us for a mouthwatering journey through the world of homemade salsa. Whether you’re a salsa virtuoso eager to showcase your masterpiece, or a home chef ready to flex your skills, this event promises a vibrant mix of zest, heat, and community spirit. Bring your A-game—may the best salsa reign supreme!
The 2023 Homemade Salsa Contest is sponsored by Bon Appetit and the Offices of Student Involvement and University Advancement.
Register to enter the contest here:
Day of Logistics:
- All contestants must arrive to the Salsa Contest judging tent at Tailgating on Sat., Oct. 28 between 9:00 – 10:30 am to check-in and provide filled jars of salsa with their 3x5 recipe card for the categories they registered in.
- All salsa entries will be judged blind by a panel of SEU community members.
- Blind judging will begin at 11:30 am.
- Winners will be announced at approximately 1:00 pm on the Tailgating stage.
- The competition is restricted to noncommercial salsa. Salsas produced on the premises of commercial kitchens or restaurants, or for resale or commercial intent, are not eligible.
- All contestants must check-in with their salsa entries to the Salsa Contest judging tent at Tailgating on Sat., Oct. 28 between 9:00 – 10:30 am.
- In the interest of food safety, we request that you please follow these guidelines:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before, during and after preparing your entry.
- Wash your utensils, cutting boards, and countertops with hot, soapy water after preparing each food item.
- Rinse all fresh fruits and vegetables under running water.
- If cooking your entry, after cooking process had been completed, please cool immediately to under 40 degrees F.
- Each participant may enter up to three (3) entries for the Best Salsa Roja (Red) for judging.
- All entries must include the recipe on a 3x5 card.
- Bring one-pint (16 oz/2 cups) of each entry in a sealable container (glass, plastic, etc.).
- Judging will be done by a panel using the following criteria:
- All entries will be disposed of after judging is completed.