As students approach their final year or two on the hilltop, it’s an important time to lay the groundwork for their next steps after college. St. Edward’s helps upperclassmen stay on track for their post-graduation plans, be it tackling the job market, graduate school or a fellowship abroad. Here are top reminders and opportunities for juniors and seniors as they look ahead.
1. Eyeing your future job? Step up your career prep.
Our Career and Professional Development (CAPD) team advises upperclassmen to hone in on their interests by developing practical experience and a professional network off campus, and by taking advantage of these CAPD events and services:
- Career panels, workshops, and job and internship fairs are held throughout the year and give you the chance to connect with employers aligned with your values and interests.
- If you’re interested in a graduate degree, attend our fall Graduate and Professional School Fair on campus, which features schools offering a variety of advanced-degree programs.
- CAPD provides one-on-one counseling for all students and alumni. Hilltoppers are always welcome to meet with our staff for individually tailored resources and recommendations.
2. Eager to explore a passion and add to your résumé? Apply for a fellowship or scholar program.
For high-achieving upperclassmen, fellowships and scholarships can lead to a deeper experience (and a stronger résumé) within an area of interest. These programs provide a unique inside look at a particular field or area of research — and an opportunity to earn an allowance for living expenses, study abroad or research. The St. Edward’s Office of Fellowships assists students with identifying and preparing applications for a variety of fellowship or scholar programs, including these:
- Summer Academic Excellence Awards: Students can submit proposals for summer activities that enhance their expertise or broaden their experience ― from intensive language training in Arabic to internships on Capitol Hill to volunteer work in India. Students with a 3.7 GPA are awarded up to $5,000.
- Student Conference Fund: Students can get financial support to present research at academic conferences nationally, to gain experience and help with graduate school admissions.
- Fulbright Awards: The U.S. Fulbright Student Program sends American college alumni to teach English, study or do research abroad. St. Edward’s is a Top Producer of Fulbrights nationally. Since 2004, our 51 Fulbright winners have travelled to 19 countries. Seniors and alumni can apply for this award.
Meet our 2021 Fulbright winners.
- Critical Language Scholarships: This is a fully funded, two-month summer language intensive for juniors and seniors in less commonly taught languages, from Hindi to Arabic to Chinese.
3. Love to challenge yourself? Aspire to this honor.
Outstanding seniors are nominated by faculty and staff for the St. Edward’s University Presidential Award that recognizes their growth and achievements during their on the hilltop. Awards are given to seniors and graduate students who embody the principles of the university’s Holy Cross tradition and mission, and have demonstrated excellence in leadership, service and academic performance. Up to 12 students receive the award each year in April.
Meet our 2021 recipients.
4. Thinking about getting a master’s? Consider St. Edward’s.
Is graduate school in your future? If so, St. Edward’s may be just the right choice for your goals. We offer seven in-demand grad programs, ranging from business and counseling to leadership and liberal arts.
A master’s degree from St. Edward’s delivers the same top-quality academics and personal attention you’ve experienced in your undergraduate career on the hilltop. Our programs — taught by professors who are experts in their fields — prepare you with the knowledge, industry insights and career network you need to pursue your profession and passions. And our convenient course schedules help you balance work and studies. Learn more about our graduate programs.
BONUS: Proud to be a Hilltopper? Get your class ring!
Every semester during Ring Days, students who’ve completed 90 credit hours can order their University Ring — an icon of their lifelong connection to St. Edward’s. This beloved symbol commemorates academic success on the hilltop and the bond shared between past and future graduates.
Here’s everything to know about the University Ring.