Student Health Insurance Overview 

At St. Edward’s, the health of our students is a top priority. All registered students taking six (6) or more credit hours are required to have a hospitalization, illness, and accident insurance policy that is accepted in the Austin area.  Health insurance coverage may be provided by the student’s family or employer.   

Students are responsible for knowing the terms of their own insurance coverage, especially which providers are in-network according to the student's policy. If a student is treated at an off-campus medical facility, generally a co-pay is required. If the provider is out-of-network, often full or partial fees must be paid at the time of service. 

If a student with the Student Health Insurance Plan coverage seeks medical attention at a facility that does not accept the University’s student health insurance, the student must pay at the time of service and submit the bill to the insurance company for partial or full reimbursement. A claim form must be sent to the insurance company along with a bill for reimbursement and can be obtained from the facility where services were rendered. 

Mandatory Enrollment 

All students taking six (6) or more credit hours are required to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or submit a waiver with proof of comparable coverage by the enrollment deadline.   Premiums for the student insurance plan are billed with student tuition through the Student Financial Services office.  

For the Fall 2023 semester, students will automatically be enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan unless a waiver is received by September 7, 2023.   

Important coverage and enrollment dates can be founded on the Academic Health Plan flyer. 

Voluntary Enrollment 

Students meeting the criteria below are eligible for the Student Health Insurance Plan and should e-mail to enroll. 

  • Students finishing up degree requirements through internships, practicum research, taking three (3) or more credit hours, and were previously enrolled in the SHIP in the prior 12 months 

  • Graduate students in online programs taking nine (9) or more credit hours 

  • Eligible dependents of those enrolled in the plan 

Student Health Insurance FAQs 

How do I enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan? 
  1. Go to and search for submit proof of insurance. 

  1. Select the option to purchase the insurance plan. 

  1. After the deadline, students with a qualifying life event* may enroll directly through the insurance company, Academic Health Plans.  

*Qualifying life events include but are not limited to: loss of previous health insurance coverage, loss of spouse, or the birth of a child. 

How do I waive the Student Health Insurance Plan? 
  1. Go to and search for submit proof of insurance. 

  1. Select the option to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan. 

  1. Complete the waiver form with information about your health insurance plan. 

  1. Attach a front and back copy of your insurance card. 

  1. You will receive an email confirmation.  If you do not receive an e-mail confirmation, the  process was not completed.  E-mail to follow up on your waiver request. 

How much does the Student Health Insurance Plan cost?  
How do I obtain my insurance card for SHIP?  
How do I locate the benefits covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan? 

COVID 19 Resources through SHIP

United Healthcare provides a number of COVID 19 Resources for students with SHIP, including coverage of testing. Please read the latest on all they have to offer.

Other Helpful Links

International Students

St Edward’s recommends that all international students, accompanying spouse and dependents have $50,000 coverage, repatriation and medical evacuation benefits. (International students with J visas are required to have this coverage.) Students may demonstrate insurance information by completing the insurance form each semester

  • If you are in need of assistance, please call us at (512) 448-8538 during business hours or email us at