Feb. 22, 2017
Good afternoon. I’m writing to provide a progress report on the development of Strategic Plan 2022, an articulation of the university’s plans for the future. The only certainty about the university’s future is that it will be more challenging than any time we’ve experienced in our past. I am deeply grateful to the members of the Steering Committee for Strategic Plan 2022 for their leadership, dedication and generous commitment of time and energy to this extremely important undertaking.
Progress to Date
The Steering Committee, chaired by Sister Donna Jurick, SND, has discussed the current and future environment for higher education, the challenges and opportunities facing St. Edward’s, and potential areas of strategic focus. In early January, the committee organized more than a dozen topics into four directional statements including:
- Continue to reaffirm our Holy Cross values
- Provide a transformative and holistic student experience
- Drive institutional growth, visibility and sustainability
- Accelerate exchange between Austin and the university
- By late February, Steering Committee working groups will invite key campus constituents and subject matter experts to help refine these four directional statements and their integration points.
- A sub-committee of the Steering Committee is overseeing the development of the new Campus Master Plan by Sasaki Associates. Sasaki has been conducting listening sessions with faculty, staff, students and the university’s neighbors since October. At the February meeting of the Board of Trustees, Sasaki will present a report on its findings and initial recommendations.
- In March, strategic plan round table discussions will allow for additional input from the entire St. Edward’s community. For those who are unable to attend these discussions, or prefer to give their comments anonymously, an email comment box will be provided.
- By May, the Steering Committee will deliver a draft of Strategic Plan 2022 to me. Additional refinements will be completed during the summer. The plan will then be shared with the Board of Trustees at its September meeting.
The Steering Committee
As a reminder, the Steering Committee includes 17 members representing faculty, staff, students, administration and alumni.
- Vice President for Marketing and Enrollment Management Paige Booth
- Vice President for Advancement Joe DeMedeiros
- Vice President for Student Affairs Lisa Kirkpatrick
- Vice President for Financial Affairs Kim Kvaal
- Vice President for Information Technology David Waldron
- Director of Campus Ministry Father Peter Walsh, CSC
- Faculty Senate President, Professor Lorelei Ortiz
- School of Business, Assistant Professor David Altounian
- School of Natural Sciences, Associate Professor Edward Early
- School of Education, Professor Susan Loughran
- School of Humanities, Associate Professor Hollis Hammonds
- School of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Associate Professor Rodrigo Nunes
- New College Dean, Associate Professor Ramsey Fowler
- Trustee Stephen Shadowen ’80
- Student Government Association President Jaime Cardenas ’17
- Alumni Association President Alicia Barron ’03
- University staff representative Tony Hunt
Thank you for your support and participation in this important planning process. For more information about our current strategic plan, visit Strategic Plan 2027. Additional updates will be provided throughout the spring semester.
George E. Martin, PhD