In a year that continued to see change, Hilltoppers adapted to meet every challenge! We’re proud of our students for persevering and we’re honored to celebrate the amazing accomplishments of our Class of 2022.

Among this year’s graduates are these 12 Presidential Award winners who took every opportunity to live their college experience fully. They received academic honors and awards. They created and led campus organizations and events focused on social justice and mental health. They took on rewarding internships and research that open doors to careers. And they volunteered their time in Austin and beyond to serve others.

Below, you’ll hear about their St. Edward’s experience in their own words and find out about some of their top achievements. See how these standout students gained the most from their time on the hilltop — and how they’re taking on their world.

Documenting Unique Experiences. Creatively.

Ariah Alba ’22, Photography and Media Arts & Religious and Theological Studies

Ariah Alba ’22, Photography and Media Arts / Religious and Theological Studies

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Documented the rituals, services and prayers of world religions throughout Austin in her documentary project, “How Austin Worships.” The documentary was included in an exhibition at the Austin History Chapter.
  • Examined and photographed contemporary social issues during Service Break Experience to El Paso, where she was both a participant and the group photographer.
  • Regularly provided support and organized educational activities for college freshmen as a resident assistant. Served as the Student Ministry Team lead at her local church, where she mentored a group of middle school girls.
A LIFE LESSON

“My exposure and education on the polarizing topic of immigration widened my perspective on challenges in life I may never encounter. It was through this experience that I gained more compassion for the immigrant community and became devoted to serving them in their churches.” 

Advocating for Mental Health. Thoughtfully.

Caitlin Andress ’21, Psychology. Presidential Award Recipient

Caitlin Andress ’21, Psychology

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Became a youth presenter for the Central Texas chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness where her “Ending the Silence” presentations allowed her to share her personal story of mental health recovery with youth across the region.
  • Served as a panelist for the nationally live-streamed Well Beings Tour, which is a series of community-based outreach events hosted by local public media stations to demystify and normalize mental health matters. 
  • Served on the Youth Advisory Board Council for The Steve Fund, where she mentored high school students of color and participated in a live-streamed panel discussion on healing generational family trauma.

Embracing community and social justice

A LIFE LESSON

“Looking back on my journey, I reflect on how far I have come from a timid young lady to a confident woman who doesn’t back down when faced with adversity. My time at St. Edward’s propelled me to be an advocate not only for others, but also for myself.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I was accepted into Duke University School of Medicine’s Master of Biomedical Sciences program, where I will strengthen my knowledge in the medical sciences and further support my path on becoming a physician.”

Discovering Passions and Providing Support. Compassionately.

Alyssa Arellano ’22, Accounting and Economics

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Nominated to join the Peer Mentorship Program, where she provided support and offered advice to college freshmen.
  • Conducted research on healthcare access, the minimum wage, education inequality and the environmental and ethical impacts of the fast fashion industry. Her research inspired her to pursue a future career in law.
  • Served as president of the Accounting Club and reestablished the Economics Club to provide a collaborative space for students to exchange ideas and foster personal growth and development. She organized a mass Bill Munday School of Business club event and other events which hosted speakers, workshops and discussion panels.

Becoming a better leader and communicator

A LIFE LESSON

“Throughout my time at St. Edward’s, I’ve grown and developed in ways beyond what I ever thought possible. I’ve become much more compassionate, informed and oriented towards making positive contributions in my community.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I will further my studies at The University of Texas at Austin School of Law starting this fall, where I will work towards obtaining my Juris Doctorate Degree. I also intend to pursue a Masters in Accounting and become a CPA. It is my goal to practice tax and corporate law, as well as contract law and intellectual property. Eventually I would like to write and influence economic and tax policy as I become more informed in the legal field and continue to develop my knowledge in economics and accounting.”

Rising to New Challenges. Resiliently.

Mary Elizabeth Buckel ’22, Criminal Justice/Pre-Law

Mary Elizabeth Buckel ’22, Criminal Justice / Pre-Law

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Became involved in Hilltop Hospitality, Campus Ministry and the Student Government Association, supporting fellow students through leadership positions.
  • Helped launch a mentoring pilot program rooted in trauma-informed principles, matching students at St. Edward’s with youth in the Travis County juvenile system.
  • Recognized as “Most Tenacious” in her Honors Living Learning Community and as the Outstanding Criminal Justice Student of 2020–2021 and 2021–2022.

Discovering my passion in social work

A LIFE LESSON

“Every organization, leadership position and class I have participated in has challenged me to take risks, be vulnerable, let others in and utilize my resilience. They have initiated a path of healing that gave me the hope I needed.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I am not exactly sure what the next chapter holds. I know that wherever life takes me, though, that I will carry everything I have learned here with me into my future. Whether it's pursuing a career rooted in trauma-informed care and social work, criminal justice or upper education, I am confident that I have been given the tools needed to change, inspire and heal lives, just like mine was. I couldn’t be more excited to see where this next journey leads.”

Being a Leader for Migrant Students. Helpfully.

Eduardo Carrillo ’21, Biology

Eduardo Carrillo ’22, Biology

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Joined the Natural Sciences Living Learning Community, and, due to his patience and natural teaching abilities, was recognized as its “Most Helpful” member.
  • Selected to join a neuroscience research team where he learned about the model organism C. elegans and procedures like western blotting and fluorescent microscopy, and practiced scientific writing and speaking.
  • Participated in the group Ciencias sin Fronteras allowing him to build a community of Hispanic science majors while teaching others about prominent Hispanic scientists and sharing his experiences as a man of color in STEM.

Taking the opportunities given and running with them

A LIFE LESSON

“As a Hispanic migrant scientist, I hold myself up as a mirror to remind others of their potential. Learning how to integrate my personal journey into how I teach and what I choose to practice in the future allows me to share the pride I feel for my upbringing.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I am currently working as an EMT-B Medic/Ketamine Guide at the Austin Ketamine Clinic to gain clinical experience in the field of psychopharmacology and to prepare to apply to medical school.”

Engaging in the Political Process. Powerfully.

Pete Cervantes ’22, Political Science

Pete Cervantes ’22, Political Science

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Co-chaired the College Student Commission Board for the city of Austin where he gave suggestions to City Council members on what needs to be done for the betterment of college students in Austin.
  • Served as the chief of staff for the Student Government Association, interviewing students for the executive cabinet and assisting the director of The Big Event, and interned at local law firms and the Texas State Capitol.
  • Joined the Social Justice Living Learning Community where he attended social justice seminars, workshops and events, and became a tour guide for Hilltop Hospitality.

Preparing to take on my world

A LIFE LESSON

“These internships have shown me how passionate I am about politics and law—this passion makes me feel unstoppable going forward. I have grown in immense confidence and I have learned the importance of hard work and dedication in making a difference.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I plan to pursue a career as an elected official who advocates for legislation that can positively affect the lives of marginalized communities.”

Serving and Leading Others. Constructively.

Jae De Leon ’22, Behavioral Neuroscience, Presidential Award Recipient

Jae De Leon ’22, Behavioral Neuroscience

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Volunteered for S.E.R.V.E. Austin, tutoring teens and young adults who were studying to receive their GED.
  • Elected president of the Student Government Association where she strengthened the channels of communication between students and upper administration, opened CPR and First Aid training to the entire student body, and initiated a major-specific peer mentorship program.
  • Interned for the Livestrong Foundation, providing support and resources to cancer patients and their families, and volunteered for the Austin chapter of Students Expanding American Literacy, tutoring economically disadvantaged students in reading and writing.

Igniting my passion to create change

A LIFE LESSON

“I have grown to love who I am, to be patient and believe in myself—even if that means throwing out an eight-year-long plan and starting over. I have found my calling in service and leadership and I have learned how to excel academically under different pressures while also being extremely active in extracurriculars.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I plan to attend American University Washington College of Law in D.C and pursue a career in legal and political advocacy for marginalized groups.”

Mentoring and Inspiring Peers. Selflessly.

Rebecca Durón ’21, Psychology

Rebecca Durón ’21, Psychology

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Became a front desk worker in her residence hall, a peer mentor for first-year students, a volunteer for multiple on- and off-campus service projects and a student leader for the annual Campus Safety Walk.
  • Created a collaborative online environment that encouraged students to be engaged and seek out support in the middle of the pandemic in her role as outreach coordinator for the Equity and Justice Council for the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion.
  • Joined Hilltop Hospitality as a tour guide her first semester, often volunteering to host lunches and overnight visits. Her commitment earned her the Outstanding Student Engagement Award.

Opening my eyes to diversity and possibilities

A LIFE LESSON

“Each campus involvement experience has formed who I am today. There is nowhere else I feel like I would have been supported, cared for, and heard. The confidence in my abilities and the growth in my skills to listen, advocate, and lead are paramount to when I started.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I plan to take a gap year and continue to work and learn by engaging and helping families one-on-one, while also volunteering locally with organizations that focus on underserved children and families. I will then pursue my master’s in Social Work!”

Examining Environmental Policy and Restoration. Powerfully.

Meriam Elawad ’22, Environmental Science & Policy/Political Science

Meriam Elawad ’22, Environmental Science and Policy / Political Science

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Accepted into the Mickey Leland Environmental Internship Program, which gave her the opportunity to examine Texas’ policies on water municipalities and winterization at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Conducted research and drafted policy recommendations for a letter to the governor.
  • Founding member of the St. Edward’s chapter of the Texas Society for Ecological Restoration, and an events intern for Environment America.
  • Served as the Civic Leadership Fellow for MOVE Texas, helping register and turn out hundreds of young voters, advanced progressive issues and trained young leaders across the state to create local change.

Learning that no dream is too big

A LIFE LESSON

“Through my experiences, I’ve learned that young, everyday people are the strongest advocates for the issues that matter to us. Being a good leader means empowering the people and communities we serve.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I plan to continue advocating for climate justice by pursuing a career as an environmental lawyer.”

Paving a Path for Immigrant Voices. Passionately.

Michelle Flores ’22, Political Science/Pre-Law

Michelle Flores ’22, Political Science / Pre-Law

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Became a counselor for a local ROTARY Club, helping low-income female high school juniors develop leadership skills, and a Democracy Coach for a class of students at Crockett High School, helping students create mental health resources.
  • Interned at a law firm specializing in criminal defense and was awarded one of only two St. Edward’s University Legislative Fellowships, which allowed her to work full-time for a Texas State Senate Representative at the Texas State Capitol.
  • Served as a resident assistant, a tour guide, the president of the Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity, and a senator, judicial officer, and service director for the Student Government Association.

Choosing a priceless community

A LIFE LESSON

“My passion for serving others was strengthened by my work contributing to legislation that would improve public education for minorities and support the creation of a pathway to citizenship for immigrants.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“Before enrolling in graduate school, I’m taking a gap year to network and pursue a job that can further teach me how to put my skills into action to better serve others. I will also be investing time in starting my own podcast to share what I have learned and continue to learn on my life’s journey.” 

Amplifying the Voices and Safety of Students. Insightfully.

Haydee Hernandez ’21, Criminology

Haydee Hernandez ’21, Criminology

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Joined the Title IX Student Advisory Board, where she advocated for sexual assault awareness and support for survivors, and volunteered for Safewalk SEU, where she assisted in providing safe transportation across campus for students after dark.
  • Dedicated herself to the cheer team, often mentoring new members and volunteering her holidays and weekends to practice.
  • Interned at the Law Offices of Jesse Sepulveda in San Antonio, where she served as a mediator and translator between clients and attorneys, and joined Phi Alpha Delta, the academic fraternity for pre-law students.

Realizing life is not a solo game

A LIFE LESSON

“Through my peers, I learned to dive into my passions for civil rights and equity. Through my organizations, I grew in confidence, courage, and leadership. Through my academics, I saw my future.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I am currently working at the Travis County Juvenile Probation Center with the training department, and I am applying to pursue my master’s in Criminology and a JD degree focused on immigration and civil rights law.”

Growing As a Servant Leader. Mindfully.

Tony Ho ’21, Business Management

Tony Ho ’21, Business Management

ON THE HILLTOP
  • Examined critical societal issues both in and outside of the classroom and started his first volunteer experience at the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless.
  • Became a senator for the Student Government Association, a resident assistant, and a student member of the Presidential Advisory Council and Academic Council. Helped restart the Asian Student Association, becoming the organization’s event chair and coordinating six educational events a year.
  • Held multiple internships with Austin FC, Lonestar Soccer Club and TraceUp Marketing and Events.
  • Awarded the prestigious Gilman Scholarship which helped finance his studies abroad in Sevilla, Spain, in the Spring 2019 .

Contributing back to society

A LIFE LESSON

“Through trial and error I’ve learned what leadership, service and scholarship means to me. It started with me wanting to grow, and although there are still similarities of who I am at my core, I know that I am still on the journey to become the leader and person I will be.”

WHAT’S NEXT

“I’m currently working at Austin FC as the digital media assistant. My job is to work alongside the creative team to generate content for Austin FC, along with various tasks such as managing different Austin FC social media platforms. I also work part time at Trace, helping with various marketing projects.”