St. Edward's University can help educate and assist students using GI Bill® benefits and administrate those benefits without creating additional hurdles to academic success. Here are frequently asked questions about veteran benefits.


Are VA Educational Benefits Taxable?

No. Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

How do I find out the status of my payments?

Contact the GI Bill Education Hotline, 888-442-4551, after you have been certified for the semester in question.

How much money will I receive?

For more specific information contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 888-GIBill-1 (888-442-4551).

Will I automatically receive benefits next semester?

No, we must receive a "Request to be Certified" from the student specifically asking to use GI Bill® benefits each semester they intend to utilize the benefit.

Do I have to report all changes in my schedule (add/drop)?

No, our office runs a weekly report to determine who has added or dropped a class. However,  if you withdraw from a course but plan to replace it, you must let the VA office at SEU know. It is also encouraged that you reach out to our office regarding a withdrawal due to mitigating circumstances. 

Are there financial consequences related to my VA benefit if I drop a course?

Yes. If your coursework has been certified and you alter your enrollment, we will review your schedule to verify all courses are eligible for educational benefits. If our review results in a change in status, we will report the change to the VA. The VA may determine they have overpaid you benefits for that semester and request repayment.  Repayment may include tuition, fees, book stipend, BAH, and yellow ribbon.

Before dropping a course, contact our office for detailed information about how it may affect your benefit.

Can I get credit for my Military Training? 

Yes. Once we receive your military transcript, the Office of the Registrar will evaluate it for possible credit. St. Edward's uses the American Council on Education (ACE) guide when assessing military transcripts. Note - Graduate level work is not awarded based on military transcripts. 

Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard may order the Joint Service Transcript.

Air Force may order the Community College of the Air Force Transcript or write to Community College of the Air Force Office of the Registrar, 130 West, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama 36112

How do I Self Verify if I am using Chapter 1606 or 30?

Monthly Self-Verification of Enrollment must be filled out online via the WAVE system.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at