St. Edward's University's Strong Military History
St. Edward’s University has held a special relationship with the United States military beginning with students enrolled at St. Edward’s Academy (St. Edward’s High School) organizing into two corps of cadet companies in the fall of 1890-the Hurth Rifles, also known as “Company A” and Lee’s Rifles. The school included formal military training through World War One and again during the Second World War.
St. Edward’s University alumni, students, and faculty joined the military throughout the Second World War while St. Edward’s High School became St. Edward’s Military Academy with the Texas State Guard providing military equipment and instructors to train university and high school students. The tradition continued during the Vietnam-era as students, planning on becoming Marine Corps officers, formed the Semper Fidelis Society in 1966.
Today, St. Edward's University students can participate in reserve officer training at the University of Texas at Austin while veterans remain an essential segment of the university’s diverse student body.
Cadets march past Main Building, circa 1942-1946.
A cadet on the hilltop sounds his bugle, circa 1942-1946.
An unidentified officer prepares to lead cadets in drills.