Welcome Isabella, Cole, Rachelle, Shawntia, Isabel, Bianca, Carolina, Victoria, Ryder, Miriam, Leslie, Rebecca, and David!
The McNair Scholars Program:
A Proud Tradition at St. Edward's University Since 2003
Since 2003, the McNair Scholars Program has proudly and consistently attracted the best and brightest scholars who have taken full advantage of everything that the program has to offer. Numerous program alumni have gone on to be awarded fellowships and to be accepted into graduate programs across the United States where they have pursued and achieved their goals in doctoral, professional, and other graduate programs. Every year a new cohort is inducted into our program to continue the proud McNair Scholars tradition.
The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase the attainment of doctoral degrees by students who come from underrepresented segments of society, and there is no question that the program is successful in fulfilling its mission to prepare participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. Participants in the McNair Scholars Program come from disadvantaged backgrounds and have demonstrated strong academic potential. A majority are low-income and first-generation college students. They're united in their goal to pursue doctoral studies.
The program provides funding for faculty-directed research that includes an incentive for scholars. In addition, McNair scholars benefit from visits to graduate schools they're interested in attending, academic counseling, course tutoring, attending professional conferences, preparing for GRE exams, and receiving advice and assistance with the graduate school selection and application process.
The McNair Scholars Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education and by St. Edward's University.
McNair Scholars Program 2017-2018 Cohort, Summer 2018 Research Internship.
Dr. Molly Minus
sbriseno [at] stedwards.edu (Sonia Briseno)
ajackso3 [at] stedwards.edu (Auburney)ajackso3 [at] stedwards.edu ( Jackson)
mariadg [at] stedwards.edu (Maria Gomez)
Eligibility, Benefits and Opportunities, and Application
Applications are available to all eligible full-time students at St. Edward’s University.
Eligibility requirements include:
- GPA of 2.7 or better.
- Have completed at least 60 hours of college credit by the end of the spring semester and have at least 1 year remaining before graduation. Students with at least 45 hours of college credit but less than 60 hours may still apply for the program and participate in a number of activities that will prepare them for full participation in the Summer Research Experience once they have earned 60 credit hours.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Low-income and first generation college student
- A member of a group underrepresented in doctoral study (e.g., Hispanic, Black, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian or other Native American Pacific Islander).
- All majors are welcome to apply.
For more information, email mcnair [at] stedwards.edu.
Benefits and Opportunities
Throughout the academic year McNair scholars receive:
- Regularly scheduled seminars on topics related to graduate school preparation.
- A mentoring opportunity with a faculty member who will provide guidance, advice, role modeling and an introduction to the academic profession.
- Letters of recommendation.
- GRE test preparation.
- Visits to graduate schools.
- Graduate school application fee waivers by those universities that conduct TRIO programs, as well as others.
McNair scholars may also be eligible for a research internship beginning in the spring and continuing through the summer for eight weeks that includes:
- A stipend of up to $2800 paid during the summer.
- Paid room and board on campus for the eight weeks.
- Three semester hours of tuition-free credit.
- The opportunity to present research at the St. Edward’s University McNair Scholars Program Research Symposium and at national McNair Scholars conferences.
Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Thursday, October 12, 2017. Paper applications should be submitted in person to the McNair Scholars Office in Moody Hall, Room 126. You may also submit via email using the link in the application.
If you have any questions, or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our office.
The McNair Scholars Program publishes an annual research journal and newsletter. The journal presents work done during an 8-week summer research internship by our scholars. Our newsletter, The Orbit, highlights accomplishments, interviews with the people who help to make our program successful, and other important information.
- The Orbit, Spring 2018
- The Orbit, Spring 2017
- The Orbit, Spring 2016
- The Orbit, Spring 2015
- The Orbit, Spring 2014
- The Orbit, Spring 2013
- The Orbit, Spring 2012
- The Orbit, Spring 2011
- The Orbit, Winter 2010
- The Orbit, Spring 2010
- The Orbit, Spring 2009
- The Orbit, Spring 2008
Summer Research Symposium Programs
- 2018 Summer Symposium Program
- 2017 Summer Symposium Program
- 2016 Summer Symposium Program
- 2015 Summer Symposium Program
- 2014 Summer Symposium Program
- 2013 Summer Symposium Program
- 2012 Summer Symposium Program
- 2011 Summer Symposium Program
- 2010 Summer Symposium Program
- 2009 Summer Symposium Program
- 2008 Summer Symposium Program
- 2007 Summer Symposium Program
- 2006 Summer Symposium Program
- 2005 Summer Symposium Program
- 2004 Summer Symposium Program
Giving to McNair
If you would like to make a gift to support the McNairs Scholars Program at St. Edward’s University, please donate online. In the Gift Note section of the giving form, you can designate your gift for the McNair Scholars Program.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the McNair Scholars Program at St. Edward’s University.
McNair in the News
Read about Victoria Rodriguez's ('11) journey from first-generation college student to PhD recipient from Stanford. A McNair Scholar and St. Edward's alumna, Victoria's story is inspirational and moving.