Office of Veteran Affairs

Fellow Veteran, I would like to thank you for your service to our Great Nation and allowing SEU to assist you on the next leg of your journey. As a 32 year Army Veteran, I understand your commitment to excellence and strong drive to succeed in all endeavors. We have a devoted team of fellow veterans who understand your background and are eager to assist you as you invest in your future at St. Edward's University. We provide support by offering:

  • Full-time Veterans Affairs Coordinator
  • One stop for VA and Financial Assistance
  • Veteran to Veteran Peer Mentor Program

I have an open door, phone, and email policy. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions or concerns. The VA team members are here to serve you!
Chris Garcia
Certifying Official

Military Friendly Logo




  • Prospective Students

  • Current Students

  • Graduating Veterans

Prospective Students

Thank you for considering St. Edward's University.  We are consistently ranked high as Best College for Veterans. We are here to assist you from inquiry to addmission.  Contact our office as your first step to apply.

Best For Veterans Ranking

#12 Best College for Veterans
Among the top-ranked schools in its 2016 “Best of” list, U.S. News chose St. Edward’s University as the #2 Best College for Veterans in the Western Region. St. Edward’s University is recognized for its participation in federal initiatives that help veterans and active service members apply, pay for and complete their degrees.

To get started,  please follow the steps outlined on the Using Your Veteran Benefit at St. Edward's University page.

Current Students

Students are required to complete the request to be certified to continue their benefits.  Other possible forms are:

  •  Parent Institution Request- If you plan on taking classes at a school other than St. Edward's University submit this form with planned enrollment inforamtion.
  •  Course Substitution Request- Often advisors may make a special acccommodation for students.  If this occurs, have your advisor complete the Course Substitution Request.

Note, the following semester based forms are located within the myHilltop student portal when needed:

  •  The Request to be Certified- After you have met with your academic advisor and registered for classes complete, this form will be located within the myHilltop portal under the billing and financial aid tab.
  •  The VR&E Request to be Certified- If you use Vocational Rehabilitation Chapter 31, complete this form after meeting with you academic advisor. This form will be located within the myHilltop portal under the billing and financial aid tab.

Graduating Veterans

On behalf of the officers of the Hilltop Student Veterans' Association (HSVA), we want to congratulate you on this proud, hard-earned, and honorable occasion!  You are graduating from St. Edward's University as a proud veteran--we and your peers applaud you!

As you complete this leg of your academic journey, the HSVA recognizes your accomplishment after years of hard work and sacrifice.  To honor this commitment to you, we hold a Veteran Stoling Ceremony upon your graduation.

Like the challenge coins presented during your time in service, our coin bears the university seal. Serving as proof that from this day forward you are now a St. Edward's University Veteran Alum.