Are you unsure about where to start in your GI Bill® Benefits process? Here is a step-by-step overview of how to apply and what to do once you are accepted.

Before You Are Accepted

1. Review this website, including our policies and procedures handbook. Please contact the Military & Veterans Affairs Coordinator, Dustin Noll, if you have any questions regarding GI Bill® education benefits and how they work at St. Edward's University. 

2. Have you already applied for the GI Bill®? If not, please visit and apply at your earliest convenience. If you need to update or manage your education benefit, you can do so by visiting this section of

3. Meet with an undergraduate or graduate admission counselor to discuss programs and majors.

4. Apply for admission.

5. Submit all transcripts, including the Joint Service Military Transcript.  If you served in the Air Force, submit the Community College of the Airforce transcript to the Office of Admissions.

Once You Are Accepted

1. Upload a copy of the following required documents to the SEU Veterans Portal:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill®: VA Certificate of Eligibility or the statement of benefits​. This, in part, allows for a semester specific grace period covering tuition and standard fees while St. Edward's waits for the VA to pay.

  • Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill®, Ch. 35 DEA: COE at your convenience. Both of these GI Bills do not pay tuition to the school; therefore, we will certify the student based on the assumption they have the benefit.

  • Voc-Rehab, Ch.31: We verify the student's eligibility in this program by seeing an invoice in the VA's Tungsten invoicing system. No documentation is needed aside from the Request to be Certified.

2. Meet with an Academic Advisor to declare a major and enroll in classes. 

Once you're enrolled for the semester in which you've requested to use GI Bill® benefits, we can start assessing your degree audit to ensure pursued courses are meeting degree requirements.     

3. Submit your St. Edward's University, GI Bill® Request to be Certified

The Request to be certified must be completed for every semester you intend to use your GI Bill® benefits.

4. Access the University Billing Center to view your charges. 

  • Keep up with important dates
  • Make payment arrangements (via the university billing center) for any balance not covered by VA funding.
  • The following fees are not covered by GI Bill® funding:
    • University Health Insurance 
    • Parking Permit (fee waived for disabled veterans)
    • Housing and Meal Plans
    • Topper Tender
    • Parking tickets, Library fines, No-show fee for scheduled tutoring or Health and Counseling visits

5. Our office recommends that all students file a FAFSA as students may qualify for additional grant money.

For undergraduate students, this could include the Pell Grant, which can be utilized in addition to VA benefits.

  • Apply for an FSA ID
  • Apply for Financial Aid using FAFSA
  • Please remember to include St. Edward’s school code:  003621

If you have additional questions, you may contact our office or review our FAQs.