Dr. Andrea Holgado is a Professor of Biological Sciences and Department Chair.  She serves on the Faculty Committee for Diversity and Inclusion, the McNair Scholar Program Advisory Board, and the Institutional Biosafety Committee.  Dr. Holgado’s teaching and research experiences all revolve around Cellular-Molecular Neuroscience.    

Dr. Holgado joined the St. Edward's University faculty in August 2017. She currently teaches Cell Biology, Cancer Biology & Social Justice, and Research. She has also taught Freshmen Biology, Neuroscience, Genetics, and Molecular Biology. As a researcher, Dr. Holgado leads a team of undergraduates interested in investigating mechanisms underlying neuronal development and function in health and disease. In the last 9 years, she has mentored over 50 undergraduates. Students engaged in these research endeavors produced new discoveries in the field of neuroscience and presented over 100 scientific posters and talks.  Research from this group resulted in 6 research manuscripts, 5 prestigious national awards and 19 prominent regional awards. Among Dr. Holgado's mentees, 75% of the mentees were women or members from underrepresented minorities; 55% of the mentees secured competitive scholarships to perform summer research at research-intensive institutions; 95% of the alumni mentees continued their education at graduate schools or health professional schools; and the remaining 5% secured jobs in aligned fields.




To succintly describe my philosophy as an educator and scientist, I must quote Dr. Rosalyn Yallow, co-winner of the 1977 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. During the Nobel Prize banquet speech, Dr. Yalow said "we bequeath to you, the next generation, our knowledge but also our problems. While we still live, let us join hands, hearts and minds to work together for their solution so that your world will be better than ours and the world of your children even better".

Academic Appointments

Professor and Chair, Department of Biological Sciences.

Year Started

Languages Spoken

<p>Spanish and English</p>


M.B.A., Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford, OK, 2015.

Ph.D. Biology, National University of Córdoba, Argentina, 1997.

B.S. Biology, National University of Córdoba, Argentina, 1993.

B.S. Secondary Science Education (Biology), National University of Córdoba, Argentina, 1991.

Department Group

School Group

School of Natural Sciences