Mar. 10, 2020
AUSTIN, Texas— Spring Break and Other Personal Travel
There are currently level 3 and 4 travel advisories for traveling to China, Iran, Italy and South Korea. Travel to those areas is restricted for university-affiliated travel and strongly discouraged for personal travel. Please check the Centers for Disease Control’s webpage for the most up to date travel advisories.
While individuals are free to make their own choices regarding personal travel, we encourage everyone to follow all recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and the Austin Health Department, including recommendations for personal hygiene, self-monitoring, and travel advisories. You do not need to notify the university of your personal travel plans. If you do travel, please follow recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization for how to limit exposure to the virus.
- Avoid travel to affected areas.
- Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
Guidance for students:
- Students with fever and/or respiratory symptoms with or without fever who have recently traveled to affected areas with known COVID-19 cases or who have had contact with an individual known to be infected with the virus should call the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) at 512-448-8686 for instructions before coming to the HCC.
- If you need urgent medical assistance after business hours and over the weekend, please call your local urgent care clinic, emergency room or 911.
Guidance for employees:
- Employees with fever and/or respiratory symptoms with or without fever who have recently traveled to affected areas with known COVID-19 cases or who have had contact with an individual known to be infected with the virus should call their medical provider for instructions before coming to work.
Alternative Spring Break Trips Canceled
In an effort to minimize health risks to our students, faculty and staff members, all Alternative Spring Break experiences have been canceled. Campus Ministry staff members are working directly with students to address the financial and logistical repercussions of cancellation. Students who live on-campus and choose to stay in Austin during Spring Break are able to stay in their residence hall/apartment.