Mar. 14, 2015
Rodeos often bring to mind images of bucking broncos, fried delicacies and country music. All good things, but Rodeo Austin provides a lot more than just entertainment.
Since 2011, Rodeo Austin has supplied $80,000 in scholarships for St. Edward’s University students.
The Rodeo Austin Scholarship Program has awarded more than $6.5 million in college scholarships since 1981. The organization partners with Texas colleges and universities, as well as 4-H and FFA foundations, to give scholarships to deserving Texas students.
Rodeo Austin is a nonprofit charity dedicated to preserving youth education and western heritage. As such, they have become one of largest nonprofit scholarship providers in Texas; they currently sponsor 120 students actively pursuing their education.
The following current St. Edward’s University students have been recognized as scholarship recipients:
- Rudo (Christine) Mafana ’16, Communication major (Forth Worth, Texas)
- Alvaro Silverio ’16, Economics major (Santiago, Dominican Republic)
- Ariana Garcia ’16, Kinesiology: EC–12 Physical Education major (Austin, Texas)
- Clara Doyle ’18, English Writing and Rhetoric major (Brenham, Texas),
- Zaira Villa ’18, Biology major (El Paso, Texas)
All of the awards are four year scholarships as long as the recipient keeps up with the requirements. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and academic achievement.
This year marks the 78th rodeo put on by Rodeo Austin. Find out more about Rodeo Austin scholarships.
Learn about additional scholarship options for St. Edward’s University students.