Oct. 4, 2014
Dedication Mass Signals Renewal for Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel
Measuring just 100 feet long, 40 feet wide and 20 feet high, Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel has by no means been the grandest building on the St. Edward’s University campus. And yet, that hasn’t stopped it from being hugely significant for the thousands who have worshiped, celebrated, or mourned within its walls during the past 65 years.
Generous financial support from parents, students, faculty and staff members, corporate and foundation partners, and friends of the university, has provided the gift of restoration for Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel. On Oct. 21, 2014, at 5 p.m., the newly renovated chapel will be blessed and dedicated by Most Reverend Joe S. Vasquez, DD, STL, Bishop of the Diocese of Austin.
In addition to a structural and architectural facelift, led by Elizabeth Alford and John Algood with Pollen Architecture & Design, an Austin-based firm, Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel also received a new altar, tabernacle, crucifix, baptismal font, ambry, lectern and candle stands. All of these items have been hand-crafted by local artisans: Mark Macek, Rebecca Cantos-Busch, Kathleen Ash and Hawkeye Glen.
Did you know?
- During the Mass of Dedication, Bishop Vasquez will place a relic of St. Brother André Besette, CSC, (1845–1937) under the new altar. St. André is the first Holy Cross Brother to be canonized a saint. André Hall on the St. Edward’s campus is named after him.
- A chalice belonging to the founder of St. Edward’s University, Fr. Edward Sorin, will be used during the celebration of the Eucharist.
- The new altar, tabernacle, crucifix, baptismal font, ambry and lectern are all crafted with lumber from trees on the St. Edward’s campus. These trees, previously damaged in a storm, were removed during the construction and renovation project. The wood finds its new home and purpose within the walls of the chapel as holy objects.
- The original building was constructed during the 1896–1897 school year. Before becoming a chapel in 1947, the building was used as an auditorium, theater, woodworking and blacksmith shop, bowling alley, barracks, and a shooting range.
All members of the university community are invited to attend the Mass of Dedication.
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014
5 p.m. – Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel, St. Edward’s University
Additional Seating in Jones Auditorium
Reception to Follow. All are invited.
Parking and Event Details