The Institutional Review Board (IRB) supports the scientific community at St. Edward's by providing ethics oversight for human subjects research.
All human subjects research at St. Edward's must be sanctioned by the IRB before data collection may begin. This site provides resources in order to guide you through your proposal submission and to help bring your project into compliance with Federal, State, and University policies that are pertinent to the protection of human subjects (see 45 CFR 46).
Our mission is to assist University-affiliated investigators in carrying out the most informative research possible while ensuring that it is rendered with the utmost consideration and respect for those involved.
"St. Edward's University IRB is now in session for the Fall 2020 semester. Please expect a ~20 business day turnaround for all new study submissions. The IRB will continue to review exemption requests, expedited proposals, and studies that qualify for Full Board review. Additionally, if any student or faculty member needs any assistance, feel free to contact or set up a Zoom meeting with our IRB Administrator ( jblue [at] stedwards.edu)"
Does my research need review? What type of submission should I prepare?
- All new, non-exempt human research proposals should be submitted through the IRB Submission Portal.
- Before continuing, you may wish to review the IRB Application Guide or visit our Guidance Page.
- Be sure to complete your required CITI ethics training prior to any proposal submissions or Exemption Requests.
- Expect a ~20 business-day turnaround for all IRB submissions except for those needing Full Board review.
- Proposals that are likely to need Full Board review must be received at least 14 days prior to a scheduled meeting (dates listed below). All other requests may be submitted anytime. NOTE: The IRB does not meet May through August.
- General inquiries may be sent to IRB [at] stedwards.edu. We are available to assist you!
Forms and Templates
Below are Forms and Templates to assist with your IRB submission.
If you are unsure what forms you need, please visit our Guidance Page. Completed forms may be sent as attachments to IRB [at] stedwards.edu. Failure to submit the appropriate materials may result in delays. Please contact us with any questions.
- IRB Application Guide (.docx)
- IRB Request for Exemption from IRB Oversight (.docx)
- IRB Request for Continuing Review or Revision Form (.docx) (Previously approved projects only)
- An already-approved study can be submitted for revision review to continue for another year.
- IRB Request for Revision of Personnel (.docx) (Previously approved projects only)
- May be submitted when a change in personnel is the only update to an already-approved study.
- IRB Study Closure Form (.docx) (Previously approved projects only)
- The investigator must submit a Closure Form when IRB approval expires.
- Unanticipated Problem Reporting Form (.pdf)
- Any unanticipated problems involving Risk/Harm to Subjects or Others must be reported to the IRB in writing within 5 business days of the occurrence.
- Request for Exemption of Classroom Projects (.docx)
- For faculty members intending to assign human participant research projects in class, please review this document: Classroom Projects Guidance for Faculty (.pdf)
- Request to Recruit for Non-SEU Investigators (.docx)
- If you are a Non-SEU Investigator/Researcher, you can use the above form to Request to Recruit at St. Edward's.
- Application for IRB Approval by Reciprocity (.docx)
- If you are an SEU Investigator/Researcher, and your project has IRB approval from another institution, then you can apply for IRB Approval by Reciprocity by completing the form above. Along with this Form, please also submit to IRB [at] stedwards.edu a copy of your CITI training certificate, an approval letter from the IRB Of Record, any consent/assent forms, all copies of measures that will be administered, and all recruitment documents.
Templates and Logos
Full Board Meeting Dates
Full Board meeting dates appear below.
- During a Full Board meeting, all voting IRB members discuss pending research proposals that may pose greater than minimal risk to participants.
- If you find yourself unsure whether or not your project will require Full Board review, you may contact IRB [at] stedwards.edu so that we can help you to make that determination. You may also wish to review the Guidance for Researchers datasheet to help clarify this distinction.
- Research proposals that are not likely to require Full Board review may be submitted anytime during the school year and need not reference the dates below
- Only Requests for Exemption are processed from July through August.
- Proposals that are likely to require a Full Board review should be submitted through the SEU IRB Portal at least fourteen (14) days in advance of a meeting date to ensure a timely reply from the IRB. Missing this recurring deadline may lead to delays in your timeline. In general, the process of a Full Board review will take longer than that of an Expedited or Exemption review.
- Only Requests for Exemption will be processed over the summer.
|Friday, August 28th|
|Friday, September 25th|
|Friday, October 30th|
|Friday, November 27th|
Below are frequently asked questions for reference as you prepare your proposal submission.
How long will it take for my submission to be reviewed?
We have a current turnaround time of 20 business days to review proposals and send investigators feedback. This is a rough estimate, as we try our best to review proposals as quickly as possible. However, this could potentially take longer if revisions are needed.
How long will it take for my exempt request to be reviewed?
We have a rough estimate of 10 business days to review exempt requests.
What do I need to submit for my proposal?
If you are not submitting an exempt request, you will need the following: CITI certificates from all investigators (i.e. anyone who is going to be involved in the research, not just the PI), a consent form, all recruitment materials (including any emails that would be sent out, flyers, etc.), survey materials, and completion of the IRB Application Guide.
*Make sure that each section of the IRB Application Guide is complete! These are the same questions that will appear on the SEU IRB Portal, where you will submit your study proposal. Once you have completed each section and filled out this guide, you can then copy and paste your answers into the proposal site at https://irb.stedwards.edu/ . Keep in mind that the SEU IRB Portal does not let you “save as you go.” You must upload everything at once, so be sure to have a response ready for each of the items before you begin your submission (which is why you should complete this guide first!).
Do I need to submit my proposal via the IRB Portal Site?
Unless you are submitting for an exemption request, yes you do.
When does the IRB need to be involved?
When there are human subjects involved, oversight may be needed. For further details to help you determine whether or not your research requires IRB oversight, click here. If you need further guidance or are still unsure, please reach out to us at IRB [at] stedwards.edu for any questions.
I'm a faculty member who will have student projects that involve research in the classroom. Do I need IRB oversight?
For classroom projects involving human subjects research, please refer to this guide. If you believe a class assignment qualifies for exemption from IRB oversight, you will need to submit a Request for IRB Exemption of Classroom Projects form. Ultimately, it is the decision of the IRB to determine if your project(s) qualify for exemption or require IRB oversight.
You are welcome to contact our Administrative Team or individual members of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) with questions about your proposal submission.
Non-exempt human research proposals should be submitted through the IRB Submission Portal. All exemption requests and other inquiries may be sent to IRB [at] stedwards.edu.
IRB Administrative Team
Tomas Yufik, PhD
tomasy [at] stedwards.edu
IRB [at] stedwards.edu
Holy Cross Hall 108: Office of Sponsored Programs
Parent Institution/Organization: IORG0008223 (expires 07/26/2020)
IRB00009859 - St. Edward's University IRB #1 - IRB Committee
Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) - #346307 expires 7/31/2020