Journey into the New World

In 1841, Father Edward Sorin courageously embarked on a journey across the Atlantic to establish Notre Dame and St. Edward’s universities. For more than 130 years, we’ve carried his passion for educating all who would seek to transform themselves, regardless of societal status, religious affiliation or ability to pay. And, along the way we’ve changed a lot, too. See for yourself how far we’ve come …

2010 – Present

2014 US News Best Regional Universities West2015–2016

U.S. News & World Report ranks St. Edward's #13 in the West in their 2015 and 2016 lists of America's Best Colleges.

St. Edward's is named the nation's top producer of U.S. Fulbright Students among master's-granting institutions.

John Brooks Williams Natural Sciences Center-South 2015

St. Edward's University's partnerships grow to 21 universities in 16 countries, expanding international learning opportunities for students.

2013

The technology-rich Munday Library opens, connecting students to information resources around the world.

2013

The John Brooks Williams Natural Sciences Center-South opens, completing the university's natural sciences complex.

2012–2013

St. Edward's is named a top producer of Fulbright students by the prestigious Fulbright Program, sharing first-place honors with two other schools.

2010

St. Edward's celebrates 125 years of education, growth and service, and the completion of its 10-year strategic plan.

2000 – 2009

St. Edward's University 119,000 square-foot residential village 2009

A new 119,000 square-foot residential village opens, adding three new residence halls and two new dining facilities.

John Brooks Williams Natural Sciences Center-North2006

Enrollment reaches 5,224. The John Brooks Williams Natural Sciences Center-North opens.

2003–2005

Basil Moreau Hall, two house-style Casitas, and Jacques Dujarie Hall open with ultra-modern amenities for 420 students.

2002

Featured in Architectural Digest, award-winning Trustee Hall opens, providing state-of-the-art instructional technology.

1950 – 1999

George E. Martin 1999 – 2000

George E. Martin becomes the 23rd president of St. Edward's and implements a master plan for campus improvements.

Patricia Hayes1999

Ragsdale Center opens as the community center of campus activities.

1984

Patricia Hayes becomes the first woman and the second layperson to lead St. Edward's.

1974

New College offers an undergraduate degree program designed to fit the lives of working adults.

1972

St. Edward's University offers a professionally oriented Theater Arts program and implements the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP).

1966

Women arrive at St. Edward's University as students for Maryhill College. By 1970, St. Edward's University becomes co-educational.

Pre – 1949

World War II veterans1944

Enrollment and curriculum increase substantially as World War II veterans take advantage of the G.I. Bill.

St. Edward's University 1925 Charter1925

St. Edward's renews its state charter - this time as a university. Most of the personnel are Holy Cross Brothers.

1888

Main Building is completed. Designed by Nicholas J. Clayton, it is a source of pride in the Holy Cross community.

1885

A state charter changes the school's name to St. Edward's College. Plans begin for a grand addition to the hilltop campus.

1878

In the school's first year, three farm boys and teachers meet for classes in a makeshift building on the Doyle homestead.

1877

Father Sorin founds St. Edward's Academy in Austin on farmland donated to the Catholic Church by Mrs. Mary Doyle.

1872

Thirty years after founding the University of Notre Dame, Father Edward Sorin, CSC, plans to establish a school in Texas.