Housing Accommodation/Exemption Based on Disability
Student Disability Services (SDS) engages in an interactive process with each student and reviews requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Depending on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s documented disability, the student may be eligible to receive a housing accommodation. SDS and Residence Life work collaboratively in order to provide appropriate housing accommodations for students who are eligible for on-campus housing. While the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments requires that priority consideration be given to the specific methods requested by the student, accommodations deemed not reasonable may be substituted for other suitable alternatives. Assignments are made directly by Residence Life and are dependent on availability. Late requests may result in an accommodation not being available.
Priority Deadlines for Spring 2020:
- Incoming students (i.e. first-time freshmen, transfers) priority deadline is December 2, 2019.
- Continuing student priority deadline is November 15, 2019.
Priority Deadlines for Summer 2020 is April 15, 2020.
Priority Deadlines for Fall 2020:
- Incoming students (i.e. first-time freshmen, transfers) priority deadline is May 15, 2020.
- Continuing student priority deadline is February 3, 2020.
Students are advised to visit the Residence Life website for specific information regarding eligibility and deadlines for housing.
Examples of Housing Accommodations:
- ADA accessible room
- Private or semi-private bedroom or bathroom
- Visual or audio alerts for deaf/hard of hearing or blind/low vision residents
- Assistance Animal
- Housing Exemption (for first time freshmen live on requirement)
Housing Accommodation/Exemption Process
NOTE: Prior to requesting an accommodation, students must be ELIGIBLE for on-campus housing by completing any applications required by Residence Life (e.g., Online Housing Application) as well as complying with all Residence Life deadlines (e.g., housing application deadline, room reservation fee deadline, etc.).
1. During the Online Housing Application process, students must indicate a need for a housing accommodation or exemption based on a disabling condition.
2. Once you have indicated a need, you will be directed to contact Student Disability Services to setup an appointment with a disability counselor to discuss housing accommodations.
3. Students must provide documentation from an appropriately qualified professional that makes evident the current impact of the disability as it relates to the accommodation(s) requested. SDS strongly encourages providers to use the Disability Verification Form for Housing Accommodations.
4. SDS will make a determination regarding the accommodation request, based on: documentation review and an interactive process with the student.
5. SDS will communicate the outcome to the student and the process for appeal if applicable.
6. SDS will notify Residence Life when a student has been approved for accommodations.
NOTE: If you have questions about accommodations or about the accommodation process, please contact candicef [at] stedwards.edu (subject: Housing%20Accommodations) (Candice Vasquez), Associate Director.