Enhance leadership skills for positive change
The Master of Science in Leadership and Change program at St. Edward’s University prepares you to confidently and skillfully lead positive change within an organization — a crucial competency in today’s fast-moving, often turbulent business world. You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of leadership from the individual, group, organizational and global perspectives, allowing you to facilitate change across diverse teams in the workplace.
Watch the video to see Program Director Tom Sechrest talk about the skills MSLC graduates bring to an organization that enable them to effectively lead change efforts.
This degree is offered in an accelerated, low-residency format designed to accommodate the busy schedule of working professionals. Students have the flexibility of completing their degree in one to two years.
Throughout the program, you’ll learn to:
- Implement a systematic organizational assessment and develop action plans for change
- Examine quantitative and qualitative data from cross-functional areas of an organization in order to logically and creatively support decisions that mobilize change
- Communicate strategic direction, intent and processes related to change in ways that turn conflict into collaboration and lead people from resistance to acceptance
- Establish ethical frameworks to help organizations guide their business behaviors and practices
I. CORE COURSES (24 CREDIT HOURS):
- Leadership Theory and Practice
- Critical Inquiry and Decision-Making
- Organizational Systems, Culture and Complexity
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Principles and Practices of Organizational Change
- Assessing Organizational Data
- Strategic Leadership
- Conflict Analysis and Resolution
II. ELECTIVE COURSES (6 CREDIT HOURS):
- Leading High Performance Teams
- Creativity and Innovation
- Contemporary Issues in Leadership and Change
- Executing Strategic Change
- Special Topics
- Special Topics in Global Business
The MS in Leadership and Change prepares you for leadership roles that are both personally and professionally rewarding.
For example, you could hold a position as a:
- Program Officer for a charitable foundation
- Director of Strategic Planning for a financial institution
- Chief of Staff for a legislator
- Change Management Consultant for a global enterprise
- Business Manager for a tech startup
Whether you have years of experience in business or the pubic sector or have just completed your undergraduate education, the MSLC builds upon your existing knowledge. You will develop skills that serve you well in an entrepreneurial, nonprofit or corporate setting — or pave the way to earning your PhD.
Meet the Faculty
The program director for the Master of Science in Leadership and Change, Tom Sechrest, PhD, brings a depth of experience and extensive connections, both within the Austin business community and globally.
Sechrest is involved in many professional organizations, including:
- Chair, Leadership Development Member Interest Group, International Leadership Association
- The Academy for Human Resource Development
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics
- Phi Kappa Phi Scholastic Honorary
"I teach to be a role model of lifelong learning, the joy of knowledge and the multiple perspectives necessary in our interconnected world." - Tom Sechrest, PhD; Program Director, Master of Science in Leadership and Change; Associate Professor of Management