Enhance leadership skills for positive, strategic change
The Master of Science in Leadership and Change (MSLC) program at St. Edward’s University prepares students to confidently and skillfully enact positive, organizational change — a crucial competency in today’s fast-paced business world. Students will understand leadership from the individual, group, organizational and global perspectives, allowing them to facilitate change across diverse teams in the workplace.
This degree is offered in an accelerated, online format designed to accommodate working professionals.
Throughout the program, students will learn to:
- Implement a systematic organizational assessment and develop action plans for change
- Examine quantitative and qualitative data from cross-functional areas of an organization in order to logically and creatively support decisions that mobilize change
- Communicate strategic direction, intent and processes related to change in ways that turn conflict into collaboration and lead people from resistance to acceptance
- Establish ethical frameworks to help organizations guide their business behaviors and practices
Program Director Tom Sechrest talks about the skills MSLC graduates bring to an organization that enable them to effectively lead change efforts.
4 Differences Between Managers and Leaders
Every organization needs both, and discovering the difference can help make you a better leader.
For detailed descriptions and course times, please see the Graduate Bulletin (course catalog).
I. CORE COURSES (24 CREDIT HOURS):
- Leadership Theory and Practice
- Critical Inquiry and Decision-Making
- Organizational Systems, Culture and Complexity
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Principles and Practices of Organizational Change
- Assessing Organizational Data
- Strategic Leadership
- Conflict Analysis and Resolution
II. ELECTIVE COURSES (6 CREDIT HOURS):
- Leading High Performance Teams
- Creativity and Innovation
- Contemporary Issues in Leadership and Change
- Executing Strategic Change
- Special Topics
- Special Topics in Global Business
The master’s degree in Leadership and Change develops graduates that serve as leaders in careers that are personally and professionally rewarding.
Master of Science in Leadership and Change graduates have pursued careers as:
- Business managers for tech startups
- Change management consultants for global enterprises
- Chiefs of staff for legislators
- Directors of strategic planning for financial institutions
- Program officers for charitable foundations
This degree program builds upon the knowledge and expertise of all students – whether they are recent graduates or business managers with years of experience. Through coursework, students will acquire professional insight that will serve them in entrepreneurial, non-profit and corporate settings – or pave the way for earning a PhD.
Meet the Faculty
MSLC Program Director Tom Sechrest, PhD, brings a depth of experience, connections both locally and globally, and ties to many professional organizations, including the International Leadership Association, the Academy for Human Resource Development, the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, and Phi Kappa Phi honor society.
"I teach to be a role model of lifelong learning, the joy of knowledge and the multiple perspectives necessary in our interconnected world." - Tom Sechrest, PhD