Full Names and Last Names
Spell out full name on first reference. Use person’s last name on subsequent reference.
- Theater Arts major Tyler Mount ’13 is a two-time Tony Award-winning Broadway producer. Mount recently visited campus to talk to students about his industry experiences.
In university publications such as magazines and newsletters, highlight in bold the names of alumni, students, parents, donors, faculty members and staff, and other members of the St. Edward’s community on first reference.
- Cindy Smith ’90 has fond memories of the hilltop.
- Joe DeMedeiros, vice president for Advancement, also attended the fundraiser.
Organization Names and Acronyms
When referring to a proper name that is also known as an acronym, follow the organization’s full name with the acronym in parentheses on first mention if the acronym is used after first mention. (This is an exception to AP Style.)
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides student internships. Six of our students are participating in internships with the USDA.
University Names and Locations
Follow a university’s style for presenting its name and location. If no consistent style is evident, use the full university name followed by an en-dash or comma.
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Texas A&M University–College Station
- Texas A&M University, College Station
- University of Colorado–Denver
- University of Colorado, Denver
How We Refer to SXSW
South by Southwest (SXSW) is a set of film, music and interactive festivals and conferences that take place in Austin, Texas, and is run by SXSW Inc. For the majority of university communications, we present the overarching SXSW name in this way:
First mention in body copy:
- South by Southwest Conferences & Festivals (SXSW)
- South by Southwest Music, Film & Interactive Conferences & Festivals (SXSW)
If your copy does not include a second mention of the name, you may drop the (SXSW) acronym in first mention.
In headlines and second mention in body copy:
- South by Southwest
- South by Southwest Music
- SXSW Music
- South by Southwest Film
- SXSW Film
- South by Southwest Interactive
- SXSW Interactiv